↳ SEVENTEEN

AFTER STOPPING BY the hospital to bring Benjamin some junk food, which he desperately needed after receiving some world-changing news, Izzy was back at the department, arranging the mugs in the kitchen by color

AFTER STOPPING BY the hospital to bring Benjamin some junk food, which he desperately needed after receiving some world-changing news, Izzy was back at the department, arranging the mugs in the kitchen by color. "I mean, do any of these people even try?", she muttered, half to herself, half to Chloe who had requested one of the mugs Izzy handed to her, glad to relieve some of the work she had assigned for herself — she simply couldn't move on with her day in the knowledge that the LAPD's cupboard was a mess without purpose or order. She was there to change that, neatly putting them in pretty rows that Chloe couldn't help but approvingly nod at.

"Guess not. Thankfully we have you", Detective Decker smiled warmly, earning the same from Izzy while she grabbed the coffee pot to pour herself a mug. She hadn't gotten the chance to even inhale the tempting smell of coffee, though, when Lucifer had appeared from behind the corner, swooping in to grab Chloe's mug and place the pot back to where it belonged.

"Ah, ah", the man shook his head, "told you, I'm your guardian Devil and as such, I insist you don't do anything you normally would", giving Chloe a stern look, which in return, made the detective scoff and roll her eyes. Without another word, she was marching away to one of the officers handling the work that Dan usually did — of course, Izzy was one of those, but there was a lot to do, hence the sharing of the tasks — leaving Lucifer alone with Izzy who broke into an amused smile.

As Lucifer sighed out loud, upset that Chloe wouldn't cooperate, Izzy nudged him gently. "What was that all about?", she lifted an eyebrow, and in response, Lucifer chuckled dryly, though the sound was evidently devoid of any kind of joy.

"With all due respect, Ms. Holt, I doubt you'd understand", Lucifer glanced at Izzy before turning to the coffee mug he had snatched from Chloe, only to fill it up for himself — and then sneakily pour in some of his flask's contents. "No one takes me seriously even though I am merely trying to avoid an impending doom", he added on after drawing a sip of his creative drink, and as Izzy finally finished organizing the mugs, she shut the cupboard and turned to the man with a sympathetic smile. She was sorry that Lucifer had to deal with such lack of belief and trust, but in the defense of everyone else, the whole Devil thing was a little bit... unique. And that was what she told him.

"It is kind of hard to believe, but I would like to understand. People tend to need proof, but if you can't offer any, that's okay. You can explain it, though. I don't refuse to believe but you're not giving me much to trust in, either, you know", Izzy explained, leaning against the countertop while crossing her arms and falling into a momentary silence. Soon enough, she continued with, "Does this have something to do with why you fled the crime scene earlier today?", treading carefully in case it was a sensitive subject that didn't need any more poking, but the look that dawned on Lucifer's face was more surprised than hurt — a good sign, perhaps.

For a second, he seemed to ponder between the two options: tell this incredibly kind woman all about his troubles, or deny, deny, deny. And as inviting as the latter was, Lucifer ended up sighing once more and turning over to Izzy, whose eyes lit up at the realization that he was opening up to her. "A while back, I asked my Father to protect the Detective, and in return, I'd do anything He asked of me. In an unfortunate turn of events, my Mother managed to escape Hell, making it my task to take her back — which I am yet to do. So, now, my Father has sent Uriel, my brother, down from Heaven to claim the Detective's life to take back his part of the deal. And it just so happened that Benjamin also got caught in the middle of it all and now... I may not be able to protect him from harm's way now that the damage is already done, but I can still look after the real target here", he elaborated, really pouring it all out.