Hurts Like Hell

Resting his back against the wall, he let out a loud sigh. Things were different now. Erik was pregnant and Shane was the father, the biological father — and he felt that he'd come to terms with it.

Finally.

And while there were seemingly dark days, the nights were darker. Dreams of the dead. Of the past life and how different things could be if the world wasn't corrupt. He still yearned for that feeling, where there was a sense of law and order, a sense of happiness and freedom.

All his thoughts were beginning to catch up.

Starting to carve small cuts into the palm of his hands as punishment, distraction. A coping mechanism. Something to help mask his sadness, and all that anger that lingered within him.

He'd done it before and he'd do it again, pretend to be okay.

"You've been staring at the ground for a while now, you okay?" came Beth's voice. She stood still, glancing down at the floor as to find out what was so fascinating.

In return, he only shrugged his shoulders. Am I going crazy?

She just scoffed lightly.

"Fine, be that way."

And left.

Phin screwed his eyes tightly, and buried his head in his hands. He couldn't go on another run if all that filled his mind were stupid thoughts. Blue, and laced with rage. It would get him killed for sure.

Why now? I was doing so well...

Maybe it was when Carl had mentioned Brooke, and something inside his brain  just clicked. Memories of the sweet brunette beginning to surface. Faces of the past maybe? Forever there, though forever lost. Out of touch yet so close.

"I'm really losing my fucking mind..." he whispered aloud, into the air. Aimed at no one but everyone at the same time.

Beth leaned against the counter, watching as Erik began to cut up fruit. They'd gotten along quite good the past couple of weeks, surprising the both of them.

Also, she was pretty sure that fighting a pregnant woman was off limits.

Finally acknowledging the younger girls presence, Erik cleared her throat. "Do you want anything?"

"Your best friend has been staring at the ground for a good hour, pretty sure he has gon' mad."

"What do you mean?" she raised a brow, cleaning off her hands.

"You might want to check it out."

Without another word, Erik left the room quickly. Almost frantically. Sensing that something definitely wasn't right.

She called his name, no answer.

Sauntering into the back she hollered for him again, this time however, she caught of the attention of Stephanie. Who — at the sound of Erik's worried voice — hastily came over from preparing her weapons.

Face etched with panic, lips curved into a frown. "What's wrong? Are you having the baby—"

"Have you seen Phin?"

"Not since the meeting, why?"