I Can't Handle Change

He became aware of his surroundings as he slipped in and out of consciousness. Because everytime he heard Erik's voice, it washed over him like a wave, and he felt warm all over — safe. Never once was he a follower of religion but somehow it felt right in the moment. Picking up only parts of her prayer when he could, he smiled lopsided in haze.

Beth pointed it out when she came to check up on the two. "He's grinning like an idiot." with her sweet southern drawl.

"That's because he is."

Erik's toner was harsher than she'd imagine it would be. Nothing less, she sighed and squeezed his hand tightly. Beginning to help Beth clean the sweat he'd managed to collect during the night.

She pressed a damp rag against his forehead, watching as he stirred ever so slightly. Surprised that all blood loss hadn't knocked him out cold for good. Maybe it would've been better that way, because she couldn't stand to see his small fits of pain, sometimes in his slumber he gripped the sheets so hard it scared her. He'd grunt quietly, or whine, and she'd spew out a string of prayers like it helped.

She knew it didn't, but sometimes it was all she could do to cope.

The blonde spoke again, "Daddy said it's gonna take awhile for him to heal. But he's gonna be fine. That's all that matters, right?"

The other girl nodded.

When Beth had left, Erik sighed and brought her knees to her chest — staring down at him sadly. The tables were turned yet again. He was recovering, but still somehow dancing between life and death, his health could fluctuate any moment.

Glimpsing at the wounds on her wrist, she looked visibly upset. "Sometimes I wonder when this is going to end."

It's seem they always landed themselves in trouble.

"You can't be." she pressed her hand against her stomach, feeling the life that was beginning to grow inside of her. "I can't think like that."

Glenn exhaled as he stared out at the farm. Watching the others scurry about. He still felt anxious and overwhelmed from earlier, and no matter how hard he scrubbed under his nails, it was stained red. It was an ugly thing to stare at and it upset him so much that he contemplated ripping them off.

All he could think about was Phin's limp body, and how the light seemed to drain from his eyes the more time dragged out. It scared him half to death.