Nico x Artist!reader: My First Fan

Requested by @PikaAdventures

In cell 13, all inmates except Y/n are out escaping like any other day in building 13. Y/n sits quietly against the wall, drawing in her sketchbook. Y/n uses every minute of her free time to draw in that sketchbook. It amazes the inmates because she has already finished drawing in her other sketchbook in just a couple months.

She flinches at the loud metal door opening, with her friends flooding through. They all take a seat around Y/n but Nico inches closer to her side and tries viewing inside her sketchbook.

She frantically closes the book, holding it close to her chest. Nico tilts his head to the side with a raised brow. "What were you drawing?"

Y/n fiddles with her pencil. "It's a uhhh — it's a secret! I'm not finished with it!"

"But you've been drawing in that sketchbook for so long! OOOOH!!" Nico jumps with excitement, his face brighteing. "Is it a comic? Manga maybe?!"

A long pause before Y/n finishes processing her answer. "...Not telling you. I promise I'll show you once I'm done, okay?"

"DEAL!!"

— ♤ ♢ —

Nico gazes into the TV screen as his favorite protagonist brings down yet another monster, like the last hundred episodes... But has yet to loose interest as a big grin creeps onto his face.

"You've been watching that series nonstop..." Jyugo says aloud as he sits up on his beanbag.

Uno lowers his handfull of cards and looks at Nico. "He's right. What if your eyes start failing and you go blind from it?"

"WHAT?! THAT CAN HAPPEN??" Nico screams as he pulls himself away from the TV to scream towards his friends. "Y/N YOU ARE SMART! IS IT REALLY TRUE?!"

Y/n doesn't budge and continues to draw in her sketchbook, Nico pouts as he crawls over to her. "Y/nnnnnnn!" He pokes her cheek multiple times. Y/n suddenly throws her pencil and eraser across the room, the pencil lodges itself into Jyugo's head.

"FINALLY!" She loudly bursts out, Nico surprised by both her and his friend screaming in the background as Uno attempts to slowly pluck the pencil out.

"WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU??!" Jyugo storms over to Y/n with a mighty rage, Y/n seemingly ignoring the chaos as she stretches her back out from hours of sitting in silence.

She grabs Jyugo by the collar with the biggest smile. "I FINISHED MY FUCKING STORY!!" She happily squeals and throws Jyugo to the ground to pick up her sketchbook. She basks in her masterpiece as she hops up and down with excitement.

"YAYYY!! Does that mean I can see it now? Show me!" Nico stands up, Y/n flipping through the pages of the book to the very first one, handing it to Nico. His face blushes with the sudden burst of happiness.

"I KNEW IT I KNEW IT! YOU CREATED YOUR OWN MANGA!" Nico latches himself onto Y/n, his arms locked around her neck as he buries into her chest. "YOU'RE  THE BEST!"

Nico hesitantly lets go as he scans the first few pages, mesmerized entirely. "You are so good at drawing!! The characters are so cool!"

"I've always envisioned it since I was a kid, even if I'm in prison, I was happy that I at least get lots of time to finish it!" Y/n chirps as she scratches the back of her head.

"But..." Her smile dwindles doen to dust as she blankly stares up to the ceiling. "I don't really want to publish it officially."

Nico puts down the sketchbook as he tries wrapping his head around Y/n's fear. "But why? This is crazy amazing!"

"Well, I just— I'm afraid of... Y'know..." She looks down to see if Nico really understands, but Nico blankly stares back at her. She gives a small sigh. "I don't want my work to be hated... It's stupid to think that though. Everything on the internet is hated in some way."

Y/n goes to her futon and pulls out her first sketchbook from under her pillow. "I wanna publish this... It's like my greatest achievement y'know? But..." She returns the sketchbook back to underneath the pillow. "I'll just wait."

"What? Whaaaat?!" Nico abruptly answers. "You were so happy about it before!" He grasps Y/n's shoulders. "You shouldn't give up so easily on your dreams!"

"But..."

"NO BUTS!" Nico interrupts her mid-sentence. "I really don't wanna force you or anything..." His already blushed cheeks redden even more, finding it hard to keep eye contact. "But instead of publishing it to the world, why not let me read it first? Like proofreading!"

Y/n's eyes widen as reassurance comforts her. "That's a good idea... Getting feedback is nice. If it's you... Then I guess I'll feel better with you reading it."

Nico blushes as he gives a smile with closed eyes. "Yay! I'm gonna read it right now then!"

"If you are so enthusiastic about it, then..." Y/n's expression brightens with the thought. "I guess I could complete the series."

"A SEQUEL?! YIPPIE!!" Nico bear hugs Y/n, his legs flinging up and down with his overdose of excitement.