Chapter 1- A New World

Kya Pyaar Karoge Mujhse...

(Will you love me...)

Chapter 1

London, UK

July, 2021

Annika sighed as she switched off her laptop, after checking the seating arrangements of the approaching Beckley-Charter wedding for one last time. Only a week was left and the preparations were already completed. Just the menu was to be revised this afternoon as the bride had added a few new items for the appetisers and the caterers had to be called, the payment to be done. Extra crockery was to be rented as well and an extra table too. But Eva, Annika's right hand, would handle that. Given the five other weddings she was managing in the same week, everything was going quite smoothly. She was thankful for her sharp and resourceful assistants, who handled everything with utmost care and passion, so she only had to look over things once or twice, meet the parties, talk about expenses, budgets and payments and reassure them that they will have the perfect celebration. And as this was the wedding season, most of her contracts were, obviously, weddings, with some annual parties and birthday parties, thrown here and there. And weddings were her speciality, although she was well known for her successful management of 'every occasion known to man'. That's what Eva said anyways.

Her phone suddenly vibrated, the reminder tone shrieking in the spacious cabin loudly. She dismissed it quickly, the sharp voice still ringing in her ears. Sighing, she stood up from the plush office chair, as Eva knocked and entered with a bunch of catalogues for flower decorations in her hands. Annika signed her to put it on the Decorations Shelf #3, which was already filled halfway.

"Mam, Vikram called. He said he will be here in fifteen minutes." Eva informed as Annika nodded, walking towards the cobalt blue sofa for her bag. Checking the contents and picking up her phone, she walked out of her cabin into the large office area. Two of her assistants were on their desks, talking with caterers and decorators, three had gone out for some errands, mostly to check up on the wedding dresses or crockery and Eva, as always, was watching an episode of David Tutera's CELEBrations* on her laptop.

"Eva, I am leaving for today. Please take care of the calls and forward me only the important ones, okay?"

Eva nodded understandingly.

Walking into the washroom, she put her bag on the counter and looked at the full size mirror. Dressed in a form fitting grey top with a camouflage jacket and blue ripped jeans teamed with black heel boots, she hardly looked what she, hopefully, was going to become in the next hour. She opened her hair from the messy bun and finger-combed them quickly. Reapplying her soft nude lipstick and eyeliner, she took long gulps of air, trying to calm her racing heart and walked out of office and into the warm, summer air of London.

As she waited for Vikram at the entrance, all she could think was, "Am I being too spontaneous?" or "Is it too soon?" All her decisions till now had always been spontaneous. From the day she was born till the day she met Shivaay. And from the day she met him till the day she left him. Her decision of leaving him, with Sahil in tow, was the quickest decision she had ever taken. In mere an hour she had decided to leave everything behind for the sake of her brother's life and for the sake of her self-respect. She was done with being a push-over. Yes she loved him, and she had known he had felt something for her, but she could only wait as much for him to overcome the years of prejudice and beliefs and to accept that she was his wife.

There were times when she thought, "Did I take the wrong decision? Was it too impulsive?" But then she could see Sahil's eagerness as she talked to one of her jugadu* friends to arrange some tickets with new names, his smiling face as they rode the bus to Pune at two in the morning, his grins as he welcomed her home after she came back from the job and the event management course she was doing side by side. She could see the excited gleam in his eyes as she had told him that her boss had asked her to accompany her to London, where she wished to expand her business and possibly make her the Manager, as in mere six months, Annika had won her heart with her hard work and passion. She could see the thrill in his walk as they moved to London, not quietly believing their lives. She could see his pleasure as he moved into one of the best boarding schools, learning the most interesting things and making amazing and sweet gore friends, see his immense support as she left her job after a year and opened her small event management company which had grown to be one of the finest in less than four years. She had worked day and night in those six months in her job, filling up her contacts, making high-profile friends who could help her in the future. And they had, helped in every way so that she could fulfil her wish, helped the beautiful and hard working girl, who was their friend, so she could get what she deserved. In the three years that followed the immense success of her company, Annika had opened a restaurant as well, naming it Sahil and the actual Sahil crying in joy as he heard his didi announcing the name amongst imminent people who clapped and grinned for the dream of their friend. Luck was probably on her side, as the restaurant did very well, turning into a hot spot for her high-profile clients and friends, amongst many other.

In just four years, she had accomplished so much. She had earned tons of money; she was practically a millionaire now. Apparently, rich people paid a lot to celebrate simple birthday parties and eat desi paneer tikka. Pinky Aunty's eyes would probably pop out if she saw what the fateechar, faltu, sadak ki ladki had become. Owner of the best event management company in Britain and the most famous Indian restaurant in London. But still, she could never have the naam, khoon or khaa-

"Annika! Get in, we are getting late!" Someone shouted, pulling her out of her thoughts roughly. She looked up to see Vikram honking and quickly rushed inside the car, buckling up and murmuring a sorry.

"Annika, don't be nervous. Everything is gonna be great!" Vikram Jaisingh, a lawyer by profession, tried to reassure his best friend of two years, whom he had met in one of the very first parties she had organized. She was showing the same signs of nervousness as she had then. The constant tapping of her fingers on her phone, the uneven breathing, the little beads of sweat on her temple and the calm look on her face, which hid the storm inside.

"Vikram, what if-

"No what-ifs. It is going to be a yes. Believe me." He said as they reached the huge building. Getting down, she breathed in a gulp of fresh air, smelling the ripe blueberries and raspberries in the air, the fruity smell calming her. Vikram nudged her from behind as they walked inside, turning into the necessary directions till they reached the office.

Knocking the door, they heard a Come in, and walked in the antique looking room.

"Please have a seat Miss Annika." Mrs Taylor, a lady of fifty-five, ushered them inside and took her own seat in front of them.

"Miss Annika, how are you today?" she asked sweetly, sensing the nervousness the young woman was clearly feeling.

Annika nodded softly, murmuring I am fine, thank you, as Mrs Taylor smiled and looked at the man beside the woman, who was smiling softly, but was as nervous.

"Well, Miss Annika, the decision has been taken. Some formalities have to be done of course, which take a week or two, but you may take her with you in two days." Miss Taylor informed Annika, who didn't really seem to listen.

"It's fine Mrs Taylor, I understand, she does not to come with me, I ge- w..wait, you said, I c..can take her with m..me? She s..said yes? That means-

"You are going to be a mother Miss Annika!"

----

*jugadu- hindi word, meaning a person who finds solutions in an intelligent and quirky way

*David Tutera's CELEBrations (previously titled My Fair Wedding, My Fair Wedding: Unveiled, and David Tutera: Unveiled) is an American reality tv series on WE tv starring David Tutera, a wedding planner for celebrities.