Chapter 16- Ex-Family Time

Chapter 16

What have you done? How could you say yes? He is your ex! You cannot be friends with your ex! Back off, back off now!

Her mind shrieked as soon as she said yes.

What have I done? What was I supposed to say?

Her heart screamed in exasperation.

You were supposed to say that Shivaay, we cannot start over because we are finished! Done! Over! We cannot be friends or acquaintances! I cannot be around you! I cannot be weak again! I cannot love you aga-

"Annika?" Shivaay touched her hand and she pulled it back immediately, her thoughts going haywire. If her action hurt him, he didn't show but Annika could almost see a pang of upset in his eyes. Nevertheless it was for just an instant and she missed it entirely, wondering if she had imagined it.

"Ye...yes?" She cleared her throat and took her coffee mug to hide her face behind it.

"I said." He continued. "That you already know what happened with me, with my family in the last few years. Tell me, what happened with you? How have you been?"

Don't. Start. A. Conversation. With. Him.

"I have been great!"

Damn you.

"Really. That's nice to know. When did you come to...come to London?" He tried to sound excited but failed miserably, not that Annika noticed it because she was in a thought-world of her own.

"Three and a half years ago." She said, sipping her coffee.

"Hmm. Are you planning to come to India anytime soon?" He asked with hope in his voice and it hurt her massively to crush his expectations.

"No. Maybe to visit someday, but I won't be going there permanently." She said and could see his disappointment.

"Why not? That's your country." He said trying to make up her mind somehow.

"I can't! Everything is here! My family, my business, Sahil's education and this is Shivi's birthplace! I cannot take her away from her birthplace!" She said hastily. "And I really like it here. This place gives me a sense of calm that I never had before."

"I understand." And he did, really.

If she wants to be here, it's fine. It doesn't matter where she lives! I will find a way so that we can be connected at all times. All that matters is her happiness.

Shaking his head, he looked at her. She looked anxious and he didn't like it a bit. She should not be anxious around him!

Make a conversation Stupid Oberoi!

"So where were you before London?" He asked and she put her coffee mug down, licking her lips.

"Before that, I was in India for six months, working in an event management company. I got a promotion as the Manager in the London branch."

"That's great!" He said, smiling softly and being proud of her.

"Yes. Sahil and I moved here then. I was very, very busy so I had to enrol Sahil in a boarding school. I didn't want to but you know him, he loves hostels!" She chuckled and he smiled, nodding his head.

"I met Siddharth then." She said and his smile vanished, heart beating. "He was my neighbour. We became best friends in a very short amount of time! He wooed Sahil in no time!" She chuckled again and Shivaay gave a tight smile, thinking, "He wooed you in no time as well!"