Chapter 65- A Talk

Shivaay texted Rudra as he and Annika sat in the car. He wanted to know how Rudra knew that this Aditya is the same Aditya with whom...is Annika's ex. Did Annika tell him? Why would she do that? And even if she did, then why didn't she tell him?

He read his message again before clicking send.

How did you know that Aditya is Annika's ex? Did she tell you?

As he waited for his brother's reply, he looked at Annika, who was focused on the road. His phone vibrated in his hand a minute later and he opened it to read Rudra's reply.

No, she did not tell me anything. It was just their vibe. I mean, I could feel it, Sumo could feel that. Just their manner of meeting each other...I don't know what it was but it was enough for us to realize that it's the same Aditya. They did not say anything but their eyes did. Sorry Bhaiya.

Shivaay gulped and sighed as he read the text. He didn't know if what Rudra was saying was the truth or not but he could not lie to Annika anymore. It ate him that he was lying to her about Naina and he didn't care if Annika was lying about Aditya. She surely had her reasons but he, for himself, did not have one.

"Annika, I need to tell you something." He looked at her and she shook her head.

"Not now Shivaay, I am driving." She said. "We'll talk once home."

He nodded and they sat quietly for the next five minutes. As they reached. Annika parked the car and they got down. Riding the elevator quickly, they suffered in silence a little more as Annika hassled with the keys and finally they entered her home.

"Aditya's my ex!"

"Naina's my ex!"

Their overlapping words floated in the air and they stopped walking, rooted to their places.

"What?" They asked together and turned towards each other. Her face was pale and his eyes wide, as the question hung between them.

Shivaay sighed and decided to go first. So, Aditya was Annika's ex. This was the Aditya she spent a night with. Now that he had met him, he could picture them.

This was the Aditya who had seen her, felt her, touched-

"Shivaay." She said as she realized what he must be thinking in this silence. "It's not...I wanted to tell you...I am sorry...it was just so weird and...it never meant anything."

"It can't not mean anything." He shrugged and sat down as she frowned.

"What?" She said and walked beside him.

"He was your...first?" He asked, hating himself for asking this.

"Wha...yes." She started but stopped herself, instead replying to his question.

"Then it'll always mean something. I know because...that's what Naina is to me." He said truthfully as she looked at him.

"What...but you said-

"I didn't want it to be weird." He said and she looked down at hearing her own words.

"Oh...how did...when did-

"We were in college together. She was my first serious girlfriend." Shivaay started as she nodded. "Her parents were in business with us and we were like family friends."

She didn't want to hear this but knew had to. Even she had to tell him her story and for that, she had to hear his.

"We were twenty, twenty-one, I guess. We'd been dating for a few months when...one day, no one was at her place and I went to drop her home. We went in, talked for a while and then just...you know...it happened. It was our first time and it was just...it'll always be in my mind. I'll always remember that." He said and looked at her as he pursed her lips and nodded.

"Thanks for telling me." She said and realized it was her chance now. Clearing her throat, she sat straight. "Aditya and I hadn't met before it happened. It had been a few months since I had arrived here and after Sahil joined hostel, Siddharth was my only friend with whom I spent my free time. He got an invitation for his school reunion and I went with him. I met Aditya for the first and last time there. He was funny and we were a bit drunk when he offered to drop me home because Sid was busy catching up with his classmates. We reached home and I invited him in and we...just did it. Maybe it was the heat of the moment, or maybe it was the alcohol, I don't know, I just-

"Annika, you don't have to-

"No Shivaay. I know I don't have to but I want to. I want you know that although it happened, it didn't mean anything. It was just physical...we went our separate ways after that. Never contacted each other, never met again...this is the first time we are meeting again.I did not want to make it awkward by telling you about him." She said and Shivaay nodded.

"Annika it's okay. I understand. I mean, Naina was my girlfriend, we were together for a year and still I didn't want to tell you. I see why you didn't want to tell me about Aditya. But still, this news is better than-

Annika looked up as Shivaay stopped talking and looked away from her. She frowned as he kept quiet for another minute and shook her head.

"Better than what?" She asked and saw him gulp. "Shivaay?"

"Nothing." He said and she chuckled.

"Shivaay you were just saying something. Tell me." She said and he shook his head in denial. "Don't do this Shivaay. Tell me."

"You'll hate me." He said and she shook her head.

"No I won't." She said and he smiled.

"You will." He said and she sighed.

"Shivaay. Tell me. This news is better than what?" She asked again and he looked at her before taking a deep breath.

"This news is better than Shivi being your and Siddharth's daughter." He said and Annika frowned.

"What?" She said, looking confused. "What?"

"Yes. When I met Shivi and Siddharth...I thought she is his daughter." He said and stood up. "And then she called you her Mom so I thought...she's your and Siddharth's daughter."

"What?" She shook her head.

"They look so same. Same eyes, same complexion. And you were saying you've moved on, you seemed so happy, I just thought-

"Oh my God." She whispered and he nodded. "You thought...is this why you got punched by him?"

"Well, that was another misunderstanding. You remember that day in the resort when you were telling Sonakshi a speech kind of, so she could tell Vikram about their pregnancy?" He said and she nodded. "Yeah, I heard that and thought you were pregnant and obviously that, Siddharth was the father. And then Siddharth punched me and you were so worried about him being upset-

"Oh my...and you thought...Shivaay-

"And then I came to know about Shivi being adopted when I accidentally listened to that lady who came to visit you at the resort. But I thought that you and Siddharth have adopted her together." He said and Annika's mouth hung open as she shook her head.

"When did you realize that whatever you thought was wrong?" She asked and he chuckled.

"I saw your interview. You said you were single." He chuckled and she pursed her lips.

"You never said anything to me. You didn't punch Siddharth." She chuckled. "I am sorry he did, he's very protective of me."

"And that's very good. I am glad you found such a great family, who love you so much, who care for you so much, who respect you so much. And I am sorry we couldn't be that family to you." He said and she looked down. "I understand why you don't want to go back to India."

"Thanks." She smiled. "For understanding me."