Chapter 1 - Never Tear Us Apart (INXS)

NATE

"Can I please go home now?"  Bob drew the I.V. line from my arm.

Just want to be in our own bed....with Daryl.

Found it hard to equate this calm and professional man with the 'Bob'  Daryl had just finished telling me about. A man who'll do anything he can to find solace in alcohol?

I know it'll take a long time for Dixon to trust him again, if ever. Especially considering the outcomes of Bob's desperate actions so far.

When I woke and found myself in Daryl's arms? Well....I'm pretty sure that made me feel a whole lot better than any medicine ever could.

He told me all about what went down while he was away, including the walker breach in the prison. That must've been the gunfire I'd heard earlier before I passed out?

Also told me Glenn and Sasha are on the mend. But I still had to see for myself....pig-headed cow that I am  😉

Took a little while before he got me back to our tower as everyone else was checking me out too.

Once he laid us on our bed, wrapped his arms around me? I felt like I'd been given a second chance.

And I grabbed hold of it with both hands.

For the rest of the day and night we slept, talked, ate and in-between he kissed me better. There were quite a lot of tears though, once the realisation hit me of just how many people we've lost.

But when I woke up this morning I felt a hell of a lot better. So much so, that I....well....I simply couldn't help myself?

I took advantage of my poor, exhausted husband and didn't feel an ounce of guilt  😁

Pfffft!

Now don't you all go looking at me in that tone of voice! Every single one of you would've done exactly  the same if you were in my shoes, if not a whole lot more. C'mon....own it!

Pretty sure I made it up to him though. Went at a nice leisurely pace on account of his advancing years and all  😉

Daryl grudgingly agreed I could go outside and get some fresh air. Made me swear not to overdo it and we sealed my promise with another uber toe-curling kiss. Before he finally let me go.

Flinging my rifle over a shoulder, I grabbed my bum bag with extra ammo clips. Was down the steps before he could change his mind. Shakily, I'll grant you. But down, nonetheless.

He hovered about anxiously until we reached the courtyard. Then I gently pushed him away with a smile and a promising wink.

"Off with you! Go play with the big kids for a while. Tonight you can heal me some more. Remove my dressings....give me an injection....or two? "

He gave my bottom a caressing pat, then wandered off with a backward glance of satisfaction on his face. Am pretty sure I had the same on mine as I meandered my way down to the veggie garden.

Yup....feeling waaaay better. Thanks to my morning consult with Dr Dixon!

*

Now Kevin from Woodbury is a proper talker. But today he's up against some serious competition.

Will, Jeanette and Wallis are also babbling away a mile a minute between laughing and coughing. All are so very happy to be alive. And this is their first time outside too since the infection hit.

Bob and Hershel's ministrations saved the precious few of us who are left.

Rick's pea plants are taking a serious hit. We plucked a couple of pods each, savouring their freshness whilst being out in the open air.