Chapter 76 - Talk (Coldplay)

NATE

"I would die  for the Kingdom...." Blood dripped from Richard's mouth, the one I just finished pounding with my fists.

"Then why the fuck don't yer!"

Threw the pack he'd given me over my shoulders. Wiped the blood away from the cut over my eye and with a final look of disdain....walked off.

To go find her.

***

The King handed down his verdict earlier this mornin. Still spouting his idealistic, high and mighty flowery bullshit about his own people. And keepin the peace, such as it is.

As yer can probably tell by my pissed-off tone....it was a no. Yet even though I gave him a mouthful, the man still offered Nate and me asylum.

"The Saviors do not set foot inside our walls. Everyone is safe here. You and Nate will be too, Daryl."

"How long do yer think that's gonna last?"  I spat back at him in disgust....again.

Takin Nate's hand in mine we started walkin to the gates, with everyone else followin.

"Yer stayin! No arguing, Nate. I need yer to hear me"  Her greys peeked up and she bit her lip, nodded.

"Want yer with me, but we can't. If they manage to get one of us it'll be bad. But if they get the two of us again?"  Nate's eyes didn't stray from mine.

"Need yer safe, need yer both to stay safe. They'll look after yers."

"We'll look after ourselves, Daryl....and everyone else. Exactly the same as you will. Don't ask me to do anything different because we both know I can't. And neither can you."

Closed my eyes and shook my head in almost  frustration.

"Babe, our Alfie won't have  a future. Maggie and Glenn's baby won't have a future....if the rest of us don't. You told me you know I'm careful. Keep trusting in that and trust....us?"

"But what if...."  I'm in agony.

Know I can't wrap em up in cotton wool when everyone else is fightin for their  lives. But dammit?

"Can't get to where we need to be on 'what ifs', Daryl. And we both know how bad the 'if onlys'  can be. Come to think of it, there's an awful lot of 'ifs'  that are total shit aren't they?"

"I got one for yer. IF  yer don't quit yer bitchin, woman, I'll...."  Pulled her in close and kissed her forehead.

"Yeah, yeah. Promises....promises Dixon."

"So yer gonna do what I ask  and stay?"

"You both are!"  Rick announced, walkin past us.

"No way....I ain't fuckin stayin here!"  I growled and threw my arms around like a two-year-old.

Heard Nate mutter under her breath 'quit yer bitchin, mister'  as I ran to catch up to him and the others.

"It's the smartest play, Daryl. And you know it. Nate can keep trying to talk Ezekiel around and if she fails? Well....you can glare-stare him into submission. We'll be back soon."

He walked away and I'm hell-pissed again. All but stampin my feet now.

Everyone hugged the crap out of me before striding out the gates. They're goin, we're stayin.

"Hey, wait up!"

Rick rolled his eyes, prepping for another battle when I trotted up to him. Handed over the big sheets of paper I'd tucked in my back pocket.