Chapter 30 - Live And Let Die (Wings)

NATE

"Sit?"  Daryl patted the grass next to him and I collapsed in relief  😮‍💨

Morgan doesn't hold back in our practice sessions. Not that I'll ever want him to.

I wiped the sweat off my face. Took a long gulp from my water bottle and another minute to get some very knackered breathing under control.

"Looks like you and Jorge have become friends?"  I dived right on in.

"Yeah. Almost as soon as I got to know him. Recognised a lot of the things yer do when we plan for runs....go out. Knew it were him that taught yer"  He lay on his side and tugged me over to face him.

"It were a feeling as well. Something like the feelings yer get when yer meet people? Know he has the right stuff....can trust him. Leo as well. Except he ain't as quiet as Jorge."

"Hell....maybe even that Guillermo too....maybe. Don't reckon we'll  ever be friends though. Sorry, Baby Girl. Just don't know if I can do it."

Oh, my love  🥺

I tried so hard. To wipe away the anxieties he was hiding yet all but drowning in this morning. Looks like we've still got a ways to go yet, but we'll get there.

"And I'll never ask it of you, Daryl. But if you maybe  trust G, can find some kind of way to try and get along together? Then that's more than enough for me."

I tucked his long hair behind an ear so as to see his face better. I'm itching to find some scissors and cut it.

"But it looked like a pretty serious conversation you were having. Was it about what went down this morning?"

"Just thanked him for helping yer....helping us out. But there was somethin else...."

He trailed off so I waited patiently for him to continue. I know he will....no need for me to prompt.

"When yer told me about....about what happened in that house? How yer were the only one who could protect yerself? I knew it were true. But next time? Yer mightn't be so lucky. There are too many people like him around now."

"I know yer always careful....I know that. But careful won't stop everything"  He looked at me steadily now.

"Nate, yer killed people. We all have. A lot of em justified and a lot so we can survive. Ain't got me a problem with that....none at all. Now or in the future."

"What I DO  have a problem with....is that....that yer don't know how...."  His voice faltered a bit.

"I asked Jorge to teach yer. How to kill someone....no weapons. Need yer to be able to do it all on yer own."

Okaaaay....  😮

He finished his piece and looked at me tentatively....waiting for my response.

"Talk to me?"  He whispered when none came.

"Yup. There's a couple of things I want to say, Babe. Just give me a minute? Want to get this right in my head. Before I open my big mouth and bugger it all up"  He nodded, pulling me to him.

A few minutes later, I snuck in a soft kiss on his neck. Started talking.

"Morgan's something of a pacifist. Has been trying his hardest to bring me around to his ideals. He's a lot like Hershel in that way"  My breath hitched a bit.

The memories hit me, of our sometimes very lively debates. How Hershel used to throw up his hands in mock exasperation....before slapping his thigh and laughing.