Chapter 55 - Spirits In The Material World (The Police)

NATE

"EYES FRONT AND FUCKIN CENTRE, ASSHOLE!"

Daryl growled furiously at this....Jesus. While the stranger gazed at me and laughed. Gave a cheeky grin before his ocean blue-green eyes moved away from mine.

"Whilst the view is quite spectacular, Daryl? I'm a guy who's more drawn by....well....a completely different type of scenery."

His mouth skewed into an even cheekier smile when he tilted his head.

It took Dixon a lot longer than me to pick up on Jesus's meaning. When the penny finally dropped for him, I had to bite down hard on the inside of my cheeks.

His face went red as a beetroot when he stomped over to his dresser and grabbed a clean pair of boxers.

"Stop it"  I mouthed, shaking my head and doubling my efforts not to laugh when Jesus winked at me.

A now fully dressed Daryl manhandled him towards the door.

"Put yer clothes on. Will meet yer over at Rick's"  He whispered.

He quickly picked up my 'dental floss knickers'  from where he'd tossed them onto the floor last night. His lips twitched in happy memory, when he scrunched them up and shoved them into the pocket of his jeans.

Lucky I grabbed a few pairs then. Because my man loves collecting....mementos 😉 

*

"So, how'd you get out?"

We're in Rick's dining room. With all eyes on Jesus as he sat at the head of the table.

"Two guards can't cover all exits or third-floor windows. Knots get untied and locks get picked. Entropy comes from order, right?"

"Right"  Daryl grunted back.

"I checked out your arsenal. Haven't seen anything like that in a long time. You're well equipped but your provisions are low. Very low for the number of people you have. Fifty-four?"

"More"  Maggie answered him this time.

Damn! While we were all asleep this Jesus did himself a right little reconnoitre, eh? My shock is reflected on everyone else's faces.

He's addressing Daryl now. Somehow knows that he's the toughest nut to crack in order for the others to trust him.

This guy is good....and I don't just mean smart.

"Look, we got off to a bad start but we're on the same side. The living side. You and Rick had every reason to leave me out there....only you didn't."

"I'm from a place that's a lot like this one and part of my job is seeking out other settlements to trade with. I took your truck because my community needs things and....well? Both of you looked like trouble."

"I was wrong though. You're good people and this is a good place. I think we may be in a position to help each other."

"You have food?"  The hope is obvious in Glenn's voice.

"We have some livestock. We scavenge and grow...."

"Tell us why we should believe you?"  Rick threw his hands up in disbelief and I couldn't help rolling my eyes slightly.

Can't he see....hear?

"I'll show you, take a car and we'll be there in less than a few hours. Then you can see for yourself what we have to offer."

"Wait, Jesus....you said 'looking for more settlements'. You're already trading with others?"  When I asked this, he simply sat back in his chair with a huge smile.