Chapter 44 - Watching The Wheels (John Lennon)

NATE

"I'm fine, Nate....we're all Ok!"

Tara submitted to my hugs of relief before I moved on to Eric and Eugene. All three of them are covered in blood and had been lying almost prostrate on the porch of the medical clinic.

When I came flying around the corner, I'd thought the worst and panicked.

"We lost Holly"  Eugene announced in his morose voice.

Which is pretty much the same as his excited voice....his joking voice....his....

"How's Denise?"  Tara just shook her head sadly in response and I understand one hundred percent, but....

I climbed the steps, opened the door and beckoned for the others to follow me inside.

"Nate, I really can't do this right now...."  Denise started.

I cut her off.

"And you shouldn't have to. None of us should but we don't have a choice anymore. What went on in here may be over, but for those outside it's just begun. We have to be ready....all of us."

They all stood in stunned silence while I told them. Yet as soon as the last word left my mouth they all got moving.

Can't do any more for the dead. But at least we can prepare for those who are still alive and might need our help.

It happened sooner than I thought.

Michonne and Heath burst through the door, an almost unconscious Scott propped up between them. Once they got him settled on the table, I grabbed Mich in the mutha of all bear hugs.

Denise barked out orders and her little troop followed them without hesitation. The rest of us got well out of their way.

"Annie?"  I asked Heath in a whisper, following him out the door.

He shook his head. All I could do in return was put my hand gently on his arm and squeeze.

"What happened, hermanita?"

OH, THANK FUCK!

Jorge looks as beat up as Mich, but both are unharmed.

Before I could speak G, Leo, Rosie, Aaron and Maggie came running up. Bedlam took over for a little while after Guillermo gave Jorge the lowdown.

"Are the others coming? We'll grab the van and go get them. There could be more injured...."

The words froze in my mouth when Michonne and Jorge looked at each other, then back at me.

The herd breaking loose from the quarry had thrown them, yet they followed the plans and all was going well. Until the air horn on the truck went off. Sending half the mob on its way towards Alexandria.

Many more people were lost before Rick escaped. Took off to get the R.V. and lead the un-dead away again. Glenn and Nicholas also split, trying to create a diversion between them and us.

"He said he'll send some kind of signal....a sign"  Michonne whispered to a distraught Maggie.

Aaron wrapped her in his arms to try and comfort her.

I felt arms go around me too, Jorge's. And he pulled Rosita close as well.

"Our Daryl is doing his job with Sasha and Abraham. A few more hours and they'll be home too. But for now...."

He stopped when I held up a hand for silence, tilted my head. Before scrambling out of his grasp and sprinting for the gate.

*