Chapter 51 - Can't Help Myself (Icehouse)

DARYL

Yep. Gotta admit, my missus slapped me down with an absolute off-the-cuff masterpiece. Couldn't have done better myself....

....but I tried.

I've known for a couple of days now that somethin is off with her. Usually is when she's getting close to her bleed. That's when her sass comes to the fore in spectacular fashion.

But this time it's accompanied by a bit of....crankiness almost? Which for Nate is way  out of the norm.

Thought it were exhaustion at first? She's been at it non-stop, tryin to help get everything back on an even keel.

To take away a bit of the horror of those few days when everything felt like it was gonna end for us all. Encourage them folk to keep up the momentum they'd found. When they all joined in and worked together together for a change.

Seems like she and the others have succeeded where Rick and Carol failed? Actions speakin louder than words I suppose yer could say.

They ain't just people livin in their own little castles in the air no more. They're finally a team and workin their butts off as a team too....together.

Nah, it's somethin other than bein tired. Maybe she's still thinkin bout how close a shave we all had?

But I know Nate's trying to work it out, just like I do. And when she does? I know she'll tell me the answer....just like I do.

*

"Eat"  I ordered Enid.

Put her plate down. Before grabbing Nate and pushing her ass down on a chair, food in front of her.

That always makes her happy. Food and, well....other things. Mind you, them 'other things'  will forever be way at the top of my happy list as well  😁

We continued to razz each other during breakfast. Gave a wink to Enid when I caught her smotherin a grin. After I riled Nate up so much, she almost lost it.

"Dixon? As we have a guest I'm going to say this as politely as possible. I will fuck you up! "

"Huh....givin out warnings now missus? That's a first."

It's good to hear the kid laugh again as I know Nate's been worryin over her. She kinda has this sixth sense about people being down. But then I s'pose she knows the signs, having fallen down into her own pit a couple of times.

SHIT....????

"Thanks for breakfast, guys. I better get a move on cos Carl is probably already waiting for me at Deanna's place. Nate...."

She didn't say anything more. Just jumped up and gave my Baby Girl a rib breakin hug.

Nate buried her lips in Enid's hair, heard her whisper....

"Don't work too hard, Bub. Reckon you've got quite a few 'ten minutes'  worth of time banked up. Promise me that you'll use them?"

The kid nodded back before stalkin out the door. A bundle of computers in her arms and the furbag bouncing hard at her heels.

*

Gathered up the dirty dishes and put them in the sink.

"I'm gonna go see Rick. Tell him....we'll go out another day...."

"What the hell, Dixon?"

She grabbed my arm and spun me around to face her, running her hands all over my scalp.