Chapter 83 - Right Here Waiting For You (Richard Marx)

NATE

When Daryl managed to settle me back in bed? I was ordered to shut my eyes while he goes for a smoke. Take Muttley for a bit of a walk, so he can do his business elsewhere and not foul up the porch.

Wish to heaven and back it hadn't happened again. Why tonight of all nights? But he knows now and there's nothing I can do about it. Nothing either of us can do about it.

I've just got to toughen the fuck up!

When he came back an age later, Daryl snuggled down. I waited for the first soft snore before quietly kissing him. Getting up and throwing some clothes on.

I need fresh air and antiseptic....plus more dressings for my hands.

The Mutt must be worn out? As I manage to make it all the way down the stairs of the porch with only his eyes following me.

The darkness is just starting to lighten a bit, turn pink then blood red. And I shudder for a second. Though not because it's a chilly dawn.

What's the old saying?

Red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in the morn....sailors take warn.

The infirmary was empty and silent like the rest of the compound. When I started to wander back to the clock tower I stumbled across Leo, as he emerged from the kitchen.

"My brekkie! And even though I love you dearly? There's no way on earth I'm sharing this one with you. Go and get your own, Little Miss....Mrs I mean!"

I moved away from him somewhat, breathing carefully through my mouth. While he continued nom-nomming his way through whatever noxious concoction is in the bowl he's carrying.

I'm sure it'll smell just as rank coming up as it will going down  🤢

*shudder*

"Oh, thank fuck for that"  I muttered, almost fainting in relief before continuing a bit louder.

"I mean I'm sure it tastes wonderful, Leo. But you're very welcome to it. Errrr, what is it....exactly? "

"My version of Kedgeree. I thought tinned tuna might be just as good a substitute for smoked haddock. And I was correct."

Ummmm, yup....riiiigggghhhht....  😬

"When I told Felicity it's my fave and how much I miss it? She promised to make some and leave it in the fridge. Think she has a bit of a crush on moi actually"  He whispered with a confidential smirk, and rather quickly too.

So he can spoon more into his wide-open gob.

"Jolly good! Whatever switches you're flicking for her? Then keep up the good work, old chap. Anything to stop her mentally undressing and basting my  husband"  I replied sweetly through grinding teeth.

😡

Remembering the hungry and lustful gawp plastered all over her slobbering face at supper the night before. Whenever Daryl is anywhere around her actually.

"Ooooweeee, bitchfriend! My, Oh my....you look so gosh darn cute when you're jealous. Like a mini Satan with teeny weeny horns. All glowing red and a forked...."  His hand started towards my face.

"Leo? Pinch my cheek and I'll bloody well...."

"Calm your tits down, woman!  I just want to tilt your head so I can see what colour your eyes go. Because this is a brand new one for you?"

"Dearest, you must have the baby blues already. Cos that's the only reason I can come up with? For you even daring to think that besotted hunk of redneck will ever  look at a can of Bud. Especially when he's already drinking from a bottle of the finest Crystal?"