Chapter 27 - No One Is To Blame (Howard Jones)

NATE

Luckily, my knife fell with a clatter to the floorboards. Before my fist whipped up to stuff itself in my mouth. It was all I could do....to not pass out from overwhelming shock.

"Baby Doll? Oh....OH...."

IT'S LEO!

Not a walker....not a mirage....it's Leo?

HOW....????

Stumbling towards him I burst into tears. Our arms grabbed each other and we sank to the ground. Sobbing our hearts out while touching each other's faces over and over again. As if we couldn't believe this is really happening.

I can't....

"Nate....Oh....my silly little virgin. What took you so long? I've....we've all been waiting for you to catch up since Georgia. WHERE IN THE FUCKING HELL HAVE YOU BEEN, LITTLE MISS? "

Leo's voice started off softly but ended up in ear-splitting fury. Well....as furious as his upper-class British accent would allow. British that now holds more than a hint of Latino twang to it.

Just as Deanna thought I was a Southerner.

"Well, you know how it is"  I responded shakily, my sobs of relief gradually dying down.

"Big sale at Macy's in Atlanta....had to go check that one out. Then on the way here? So many people to see, social events. Partay....partay....partay."

"Baby Bitch"  He grumbled before yanking me into his arms and kissing my head hard.

"Oh, Leo. I thought I'd never see you again yet here you are. Safe, sound and....pumped? "  I rocked back on my heels then took a really good look at him.

His hair is now short. No longer floppy, long and rakish. I traced a finger along the jagged scar on his cheek that continued up past his eye. Wincing at the thought of how he might've gotten it.

He looks older and tougher....yet still devilish?

It's his body that's changed the most though. As everyone else's has I suppose? My lithe Englishman has gotten himself some muscle. Not a patch on my Daryl, but noticeable to what he was before.

As I ran my hands down to his, my eyes caught a slight movement near the door.

Leaning against the wall, arms folded. Watching us both with a small smile and watery eyes....is Jorge.

Letting go of Leo I found my feet and stumble blindly to him. He wrapped me up like the big bear he is. Rocked me gently in his arms as he kissed my hair.

"Hola, hermanita. Ha sido un tiempo, mi pequeña asesina."

His whisper is full of tears and I'm totally incapable of any response....far too overwhelmed. So, I just keep on hugging him tightly and cry some more.

"Hola, Daryl"  Jorge's deep voice rumbled through his chest under my face.

I peeped over my shoulder, to see Daryl is now standing beside Leo. He gave a brief friendly nod back at Jorge....and I gave him a loving soppy smile in return.

"I see you both know...."

My voice trailed off and my smile turned to a frown of confusion. Seeing Daryl's face hardened  😕

As his eyes shifted from mine to the door, Jorge's grip on me tightened. He rubbed his hand over my back as if comforting me. Except I felt him tense up protectively at the same time.