Chapter 78 - I Won't Back Down (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)

DARYL

'Don't....please don't. DON'T!'

My head is pleadin desperately.

Started in a whisper when the plate of food clinked against the table. Ended in a silent scream when her hand gently gripped my shoulder.

Can't help it. The taut tendons in my neck creaked when my head turned to follow her as she started walkin away.

Mags paused to wipe her face. Gave herself a little shake before she climbed the steps to Jesus's cabin once more.

The half-whittled arrow shaft that my fingers held onto for grim death finally snapped. I leapt up from the bench and literally sprinted for the hidden escape hatch that Sasha had made in the fence.

Kept runnin in the darkness on the other side. Totally mindless of the tree branches whipping against my face and arms.

Mindless of everything. Just runnin to escape the pain. Hers, mine or both....dunno....

My feet eventually stumbled down an incline and I fell ass up into the slow movin river. My arms took over. Pullin me further in until I can't feel the bottom no more.

When the coldness finally closed overhead my mouth opened.

And I screamed.

Over and over and over. Heedless of the fact that my chest is heaving but not drawin in any air. Only cold, black, drownin breaths of....

....my shame.

*

"The Saviors are coming. THE SAVIORS ARE COMING! "

The bell rang loud the next day and I snatched up the shafts I was back to whittlin. All hell broke loose with people scattering in all directions.

Saw Rosita go dashing into a trailer and come runnin out again with Sasha hard on her heels.

"No time for the escape hatch. C'mon....I'll try to keep them away"  Enid beckoned for Mags to follow her and I have no choice.

The root cellar hatches closed behind us and I squinted through the gaps of the inner doors. Knife in hand, ready to strike.

"Daryl....DARYL! "  Mags hissed.

She tugged on a row of shelving that slid back to reveal a small gap behind it.

Reluctantly I left my position and squeezed in with her. Just as the doors swung open to reveal a big Savior in a knitted cap.

Watched him as he peered around the vegetable cellar. Takin bits and pieces of food from everywhere and puttin them in a basket. Gettin closer....closer.

Heard her teeth grindin behind me. When we both recognised Enid's knife holder slung from his belt.

My blade rose. Clenched it a few times to get my grip before reaching forward to slide the shelf back. I froze immediately. Feeling her hand on my shoulder again, pulling me to her as she huddled close.

The doors creaked shut behind the prick and I hustled my butt to peer out again. Until Maggie stood behind me once more.

"You were gonna kill that guy."

"He was gonna find us"  I whispered, hangin my head down and staring at the cellar cobblestones.

"He wasn't....and he didn't."

"He deserves to die."

"Ever since you got here, they're the first words you've spoken to me. Daryl, will you look at me....please? "  Mags begged.