Chapter 17 - Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (Coldplay)

NATE

Lifted the kettle using a couple of pieces of wood, like tongs. Carefully carried it over to where he's laid out two battered enamel cups.

"No sugar, I'm sorry. But we can share this?"

I pulled out the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup from the inner pocket of my jacket. 

"Muttley!  Leave the poor man alone."

He gave a soft laugh. As Mutt snuck in one final....and no doubt stinky....lick of his chin.

"I'm good with tea thanks, Nate. Never really been a chocolate man. Though I do admit to a hankering for peanut butter now and then."

He gently took Mutt's muzzle in his hand then levered him into a sitting position. As he'd seen me do when we first ummmm....met?

I finished pouring before handing him one of the mugs. Grabbed the other and flopped cross-legged on the ground a few feet from him.

"My brother went through a heap of those, much preferred the double taper though. He started with Wax wood but they kept breaking. So he went onto Oak....like that one there."

"But I don't recognise this wood, Morgan?"  I indicated the closer of the two.

The look of surprise showed on his face once I started talking about his Bo staff's. It seemed to me the most neutral of topics as an icebreaker?

"Maple. Just as hard but has a lot more flexibility. Not as much jarring to the hands and wrists when making contact"  He picked it up, offering it to me with a smile.

When I hesitated he pushed it forward again.

"Go on now....it's Ok."

"Thank you."

I ran my hands up and down the stick, feeling the wood. Smooth as satin underneath my fingertips. It's almost a work of art and such a heavenly texture.

"Did you make it?"

"No. That one was gifted to me....by a friend who taught me how to use them. The other one belonged to him as well. He made both."

I nodded, catching the undertone in his voice. It's telling me his friend no longer has any use for his.

"Would you've done it....if I hadn't come across you?"

"Wow, Morgan!  You really don't believe in small talk, huh?"  I'm not angry at his abrupt change in topic.

Just didn't think it'd come up for discussion so soon. May as well usher this elephant out of the room as quickly as possible.

At least he didn't say those five little words....thank goodness 😌

Didn't say anything actually. Just waited patiently for my response to his question.

"Naaaah!"

"Having it....the pistol in my hand? Made me think about it, for sure. How nice it'd be not to have the hurt, the pain or the worry anymore. Simply opt-out. But actually doing it?"  My lips gave another wry twist as I shook my head.

"Waste of a good bullet. And I'd shake so much....probably miss. Do a Vincent Van Gogh on myself instead"  I gave a soft laugh, tugging on my ear.

He gazed at me for a long time while I sipped my tea. Yet it isn't a gaze that makes me uncomfortable. We're strangers, yes. But he's just trying to get a feel for me. My words....and if I actually mean them.

I've already gotten my  feel for him. Know I've got nothing to fear at all. Quite the opposite in fact.

"Did you, Morgan? Think of doing it?"  I swirled the tea leaves in my mug....wondering if they'll reveal my future.