Chapter 52 - Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam (Nirvana)

DARYL

"Today's the day!"

Rick is all revved up and rarin to go as the souped-up sedan sped down the middle of the road. Leaving nuthin but dust and a few walkers in our wake.

"Uh-huh"  I replied absently, looking over the map of farming supply places that Eugene had shoved into my hands.

Along with all the other lists that folk back in Alexandria have passed on. Feel like I'm a goddamn personal shopper or somethin.

"We're gonna find food and maybe some people. The law of averages gotta catch up."

"I dunno, we ain't seen nobody for weeks. Maybe we ain't gonna find nobody....and maybe that's a good thing."

Can feel his eyes on me. Bet he's wondering about my change of heart over the last month.

I know I said to Nate that I wouldn't give up on findin people. Only my experience with that Dwight in the forest and then later on with that gang of thugs? Has left me more than a bit wary.

And on top of all that, them Wolves attacking Alexandria....?

We aren't alone. And our neighbours don't seem to be any more friendlier than the walkers. Just can't make myself take that big a risk no more. Don't trust myself enough no more.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Rick's hand reach for the console. The flash of a CD caught my eye.

Awwww shit!

"Don't. Don't....please don't...."

Almost begged him as he cranked up the volume and started clicking his fingers. Grinnin at me slyly, while his head bobbed in time to the rockabilly shit that came pourin out of the speakers.

He saw my look of disgust and that just made him amp it up even more.

"Draws the walkers away from home. Besides....Nate told me it was your favourite song. Will get you in the mood for a good day out?"

Gave him the look that I'm itchin to give my missus. Just a pity I can't give him the butt slap that my palm is itchin to give her as well.

Wonder if Rick noticed her eyes turnin bullshit brown when she out and out lied to him?

'My bad Baby Monkey is gonna pay big-time for this one when I get home tonight'  I promised myself, gazin out the car window as my mouth twitched in a grin of anticipation.

😈

But she were right about one thing, no doubt.

For the first time in a long while I'm really looking forward to this run. Just him and me, like we've done so many times before. But not in what seems like an age now.

I think we both need this bit of downtime together? Get us back to basics again after all the drama and losses of the last few weeks. Hell....months even. We're feelin the strain of havin to be responsible for so many people now.

And I miss just havin our little group like we did back at the prison.

My brain keeps swingin its way back to Nate's PLAN.

To just up and go. Leave everything and everyone. Claim our own turf and simply....live.

It weren't far-fetched, it'll be my idea of heaven in fact. Except I have somethin slightly different in mind.

Like maybe take the family and eventually head back to Georgia? Set all of us up at the Honeymoon Residence. Get Aaron, Eric, Morgan, Jorge and a few others with us as well?