Chapter 56 - Everybody Wants To Rule The World (Tears For Fears)

DARYL

"Are you deaf or something?"

"YOU!  Yes....you carrying a box of my  carrots. What the hell do you think you're doing with one of my shirts on? Damned thief. My personal possessions aren't part of the deal!"

Me and Jesus both looked at each other.

Then up to the porch of the mansion. Where Gregory is sitting amongst a pile of cushions and blankets.

Watchin as we pack up Hilltops food and other items that're part of the deal Mags eventually brokered with the little toe-rag. Their payment in advance to us. For takin care of the Negan problem on their behalf.

Nate didn't hear him at first. Seems to be off on her own little planet? But when he repeated his accusation, she stopped dead and turned towards him.

"I'm not a damned thief!  You bled all over mine, so now I wear one of yours. I call that a fair trade, Gregory. Put your big girl panties on for once and deal with it!"

"Ahhhh  yes, I remember you now. Harlan said you did very well assisting him. Why don't you stay on with us here at Hilltop? You can be my nurse, and....see to my errrr....dressings."

"It's Natalie....isn't it?"

"Oooow shit!"

Breathed the words out then ran fast as I could to get between em. Snagged her arm as she dropped the box. Started stalking like a bristling she-wolf up the steps between her and him.

Clapped my hand over her mouth to stop her very graphic verbal train of thought.

Took all my strength to get us inside the R.V and her backside planted on the bench seat. Held her down and waited until she stopped her wrigglin to get away.

"Stay here! We're almost loaded and ready to go. Yer can kick him in the balls after we've done our side of the deal. I won't stop yer. Hell, I'll even hold the prick down and cheer yer on"  I whispered consolingly into her ear before jumping out the door.

"Wasn't going to kick him there, Babe....he hasn't got any"  She called out in disgust, but stayed put like I ordered her to.

"What was that all about? She looked like she was going to rip him a new one. Not that I'd blame her?"

Jesus handed Nate's box up to Blue. He stacked it on the roof of the vehicle then started tying em all down. We've already filled most of the inside.

"Word of advice. If yer don't wanna find yer nuts up in yer skull? Then don't ever call her the name he did."

"What name?"

"Fuck....she's got ears like a bat and I ain't dumb enough to say it out loud"  I whispered, peekin around me as if in fear for my life.

"Smart decision, Dixon"  My woman's voice wafted out from the R.V, makin Jesus's eyes goggle.

"Ok then. Going by Nate's reaction on seeing me in your bedroom this morning and the look on her face at Gregory just then? I'm sure glad it was you chasing me in that field, Daryl....and not her."

"Yer ain't dumb then either"  I observed as he walked away laughing.

I know Nate is startin to like him a lot. And goin by his actions so far, plus the fact he's gonna join us in our attack against Negan?

My distrust is rapidly bein eaten away.

*

We were barely ten minutes into our journey home when Michonne handed over a slip of paper. Took a while for it to sink in with me.