Chapter 8 - We Gotta Get Out Of This Place (The Angels)

DARYL

"What the fuck yer think yer doin? Rabbits mine!"

His arrow narrowly missed my head after I let loose with my own.

"It's claimed. Mine!  That bitch got you all messed up, boy. Walkin around like you is a dead man who's lost himself a fine piece of tail. Musta been a damn good one."

"Tell me something....was she one of the littleuns?"  Len smirked at me.

Went to put my knife through that sick bastard, but Joe got his hands on me first.

"Easy, fellas....easy. Let's put the weapons down then try and figure out this little problem, hmmmm?  We got rules of the road out here. All you gotta do is claim. That's how you mark your territory, your prey and your bed at night."

"Now, it wouldn't be fair to punish you for violating a rule you never even knew existed. Would it, Daryl?"  Joe proclaimed.

"Ain't no rules no more"  I spat out.

Never took my eyes off Len. He's itchin to whup my ass and I'm just prayin for the chance to flay his.

"Oh, there are....you know that Daryl. It's why I didn't kill you for your bow yesterday."

Joe reached for the rabbit in my hand and chopped it in half. Throwin the head to Len before walkin off.

"Claimed....is all you gotta say."

*

We're following the rail tracks, Joe walkin next to me at the rear of the pack. That's what they are, a huntin pack....not a group.

"So, the looker in your photo....what's she to you then?"  He asked.

Didn't want to talk but he ain't gonna let things lie.

"My wife."

"Ooooweeee, boy!  How did a close-mouthed, redneck son of a bitch like you end up with a damn fine little girl like that?"

"Cos I was a lucky, close-mouthed, redneck son of a bitch"  I muttered.

"What's the plan, Daryl? You with us now but you ain't soon? You looking for your missus once you leave?"

"Can't look for what's gone"  I'm reduced to mumbling now.

Joe went quiet for a long time. Takin in the fact....I'm talking in a past tense.

"Now that's a damn shame, but then....it's probably for the best. A man can't survive nowadays if he's got a woman on his mind all the time. This ain't a world for love or feelings no more."

"Man who does that? Will die sooner rather than later."

"You need a group, need to be with us. The rules....that's the only thing that you should care about. Not other people. Rules don't have feelings. Rules don't eat you all up inside like a woman does."

Wasn't gonna tell him that I agree.

Losing her is the worst thing that's ever happened to me in my life. Million times worse than anything and everything that happened to me when I were growin up.

Trustin someone enough to actually let em inside me?

Loving them, giving them the biggest piece of myself?  Ain't never gonna do that ever again. No matter what or who.

Have to protect myself now, no exceptions. So I'll never....ever  feel this way again.

Would rather be on my own for the rest of my days on earth!