Chapter 77 - Everything Changes But The Truth (Lucinda Williams)

NATE

The gates creaked open. I wiped the sweat off my face with my sleeve before grabbing hold of the handle of the overloaded shopping cart.

Heaving out a deep breath, I gathered my strength. Started pushing it over the threshold.

"My fair young maiden!  You shouldn't be exerting yourself in such a manner. Certainly not in your....delicate condition. Most of the Kingdom is still slumbering, yet you appear to have been outside hunting again. Pray tell....why?"

"Benjamin, take the trolley from our dear friend if you please."

I gratefully relinquished the load over to the teenager. He gingerly pushed aside a dangling hoof to get a better grip.

"Your Majesty, I'm guessing Shiva isn't a vegetarian? There's a lot of wildlife out there nowadays despite the walkers. No need to sacrifice your livestock keeping her fed."

"I came across a large herd with way too many bucks....took advantage. The boar was just an added bonus. He happened to cross my path on the way back."

Actually, the unlucky bugger had been skittering away from some walkers. All but blundered into me while I loaded the last of the three deer onto the big cart I'd found.

I made short work of him, then his pursuers.

Diane kitted me up with some body armour, so no damage was done in the collision. It was a thank-you gift. For showing her some rifle tricks. Including how not to clog up her cartridge if she has to fire it face down in the dirt.

Another Jorge lesson well learnt.

At the end of my little show and tell I looked up to see we were surrounded by more onlookers, all very eager to learn as well. I've been passing on as much as I can for a couple of hours each day since.

Jerry supplied the makings of another slingshot and in return, I made him one too. Had no idea how many 'wicked awesome, dude's'  can come out of one man!  🤪

"I'm neither fair, delicate nor as you have noted by my current 'condition'....a maiden. Far from it in fact, Your Majesty. So, can you please just call me Nate?"  I begged.

I threw a look at Morgan who sniggered and shook his head.

Richard stood there stony-faced, before darting out the gates as they slowly started to shut.

Dagnabbit!

Can't very well take off and shadow him again without his knowledge now, can I?  😒

He's up to something once more.

Except I've got no concrete proof of what  exactly to take to the King. So all I could do is share my suspicions with Morgan. He's promised to keep an eye on him when they leave the compound.

The weekly supply drop for the Saviors is this afternoon.

"Your point is taken....Nate. I'd still like very much however, for you to reconsider your venturing beyond the protection our walls offer."

It isn't quite an order....yet.

However, I can't help but notice the way his eyes also follow mine. Until Richard is gone from sight.

"Andwould very much like a deep dish, cheesy crust supreme pizza with a side of superpowers. But neither of those are on the cards anytime soon either....your Royal Highness."

"Dispute not with her, for she is lunatic"  Ezekiel quipped with a defeated smile.

"Peace, master marquess....you are malapert. Richard the Third act one scene three."