Chapter 69 - Don't Believe Anymore (Icehouse)

DARYL

"Step in!"

Dwight pushed me through the red door into some living quarters that I had briefly seen before. Negan is sitting in a leather chair. Calm as all fuck.

Time to pay the piper....

"Oh, Jeezus. You look awful! Are you thirsty? Oh, I forgot....your mouth is all puffed up like a baboon's ass. D, what's wrong with you? Get him a straw."

A glass of cold water was held out and I took it automatically.

"See that guy? He hustles and I like hustle. Believe it or not, things weren't always cool between us."

I didn't move an inch as the prick went on to tell me about why Dwight did a runner. His sister-in-law, sick and needin the insulin. Negan was willing to do a trade if she married him.

She didn't. Instead, they all managed to escape and I found em. But he don't seem to know that fact?

After she died in the forest, they returned. Dwight beggin for Sherry's life....Sherry marryin Negan in return for Dwight's life. He still paid a price with his face though.

"There are rules and Lucille is a stickler for the rules. He got the iron. Yet he still got back on board and now he's one of my top guys. I think you're ready to be that guy too."

"This room, Daryl....it can all be yours. And all you gotta do is answer one simple question."

He motioned for Dwight to remove the glass of water from my hand.

"Who are you?"

My answer was full of nuthin but dead silence.

"Cat got your tongue? Or are you just overwhelmed by the awesomeness of all this? I'm gonna ask you one more time."

He touched the barbed wire of the bat to my chin, getting up in my face.

"Who....are....you?"

Raised my eyes and looked that bastard right in his. If this is gonna end? Then it's right here and now.

"Daryl!"

"It's cool, D. The man's made his choice. Ain't my problem if it's a dumbass one."

*

"You're gonna wind up in that room or hanging on the fence. JUST KNEEL FOR FUCK'S SAKE! "

Dwight threw me back in the cell and screamed in....frustration almost....not fury.

Yet all I can feel is sheer relief.

He has the ways and means of gettin me to do exactly what Negan wants. Except he still isn't using the ammo.

And that's confusing the fuck out of me. Given I ain't toein the line no matter what he throws at me.

"I get why yer did it, came back here. Yer were thinkin about someone else and had to make a choice"  I weren't cowerin no more....no more.

"Yer know  that I am too. And that's why I can't. She's the reason why I won't!"

*

An hour later I was led through the compound and shoved into the back of a truck. Was just over half an hour into the drive when the scenery rolling by started to get familiar.

We're heading towards Alexandria?

"Little pig, little pig. Let me in."

When the inner gate rolled back I saw Rosita, Eugene and Jorge standing near an idling car. Rick pushed Spencer out of the way and opened the outer gate.