Chapter 84 - Everybody Hurts (R.E.M)

DARYL

"I'm bein fuckin stupid ain't I....sendin her away right when I need her more than ever?"

We're standing by the Explorer he's 'borrowed'  from the Kingdom.

Watchin Nate and Leo as they walk slowly towards us. Holdin hands while the Mutt hops around em.

The place is dead quiet, yet I doubt anyone will still be sleepin. Am glad though. Cos the less people around to see em going....the better.

No awkward questions. No prolonged farewells.

"Being courageous is knowing it'll hurt, but doing it anyway. Being stupid is exactly the same, Daryl. And that's why life sucks. Cos it's so hard to tell the difference between the two."

We wandered over to my bike and I grabbed my pack in readiness.

"Jorge....I...."  He wouldn't let me finish.

"You never need to ask. With my life. I always have and always will. But this time, you  need to do something for me in return."

"Anything, man"  I nodded before he drew me into a hug.

Slapped my shoulder as he whispered in my ear....

"I truly understand your anger, cannot ever blame you for it. Just remember this one very wise old saying, hermano? Before you embark on a journey of revenge....dig two graves."

"Stay alive, my friend....for all of us. That's not a request."

He ambled off to take Nate's place with Leo. Leaving me to stare open-mouthed at his back.

*

"But....but that's your  pack Babe?"

Nate's bitin her lips hard. Tryin to stop the wobbles as I settle the strap over her shoulder.

"Yeah. And yer better bring it back to me in one piece, woman....or else!  I put a couple of changes of yer clothes in there. Some of them candies and teabags to help with the pukin."

"Or else what, mister?"

"Still got me a damn good imagination, missus. I'll think of somethin suitable."

"Yeah, yeah. Promises....promises"  Covered her lips with mine and we both wobble up a storm for a while.

"I promised you, Daryl. How can I keep it if I'm not here to find you?"  Despite her best efforts, she started to leak.

"Yer know the deal, woman. Yer be a good girl....I don't get lost. Ok?"

I'm lookin her in the eyes, all too aware that I've probably lied. Even though I swore to myself I wouldn't.

It's like I've already started puttin that shovel to earth....diggin my  grave first?

"Son? Yer quit bein a lil' shit for yer Momma or we'll be havin some serious words when get home. Yer hearin me?"  I tap him lightly on the butt.

"Jorge still thinks it'll be three days tops. Day each there and back with a full day to load up whatever yer can. I'll give yer a little wiggle room though. But go a minute over four days? I'll be leadin the search party. Yer hearin me, missus?"

"Yes, dear."

Nate tightened up the strip of white material tied around my shirt sleeve. Straightened my collar and tucked some hair behind an ear. I untucked it again when she looked away and wiped her eyes.

Don't want her to see that mine are leakin too.

"Have you got all your arrows....a full tank of juice? Ammo? Here, take my bumbag. There's plenty in there for your...."