Chapter 73 - Basket Case (Green Day)

DARYL

Told her everything, just like she asked. From the minute I left Alexandria, to when they dragged my naked ass away at the Sanctuary. All the way to her runnin around the corner with Jorge.

Had to. She'll know right away if I left stuff out....tamed down the worst.

Can see she's barely holdin on for me. Especially when I told her about the photographs.

Her, me....Glenn.

Nate's fingers clenched at my neck throughout. And her furious, yet terrified breath flared through her nostrils like a wild horse.

I kept my hand on her tummy trying to calm my baby....babies  down. Yet at the same time, I don't want the feelins that're coursing through my body to ever stop.

Have to hold onto em, to give me the strength for what I need to do. To kill em, wipe out the Saviors. Every last fuckin one of em.

"Didn't know Jorge was with Jesus. Thank God for that. If he hadn't gotten yer out? I woulda torn the place apart lookin for yer. Weren't leavin unless yer were with me"  My voice ground down to a gravelly whisper.

Looks like she wants to say somethin but is wary....and conflicted almost? Bitin her lips like mad.

Silently she got up off the bed. Grabbed the handles of that big old bag she had with her when we escaped. And hoisted it over.

I sat up, no longer woozy. Peered over her shoulder, stunned.

"Did yer kill him? Dwight? "  Nate tugged out my vest.

Spot my bow rig layin underneath it along with her pistols. And a load of other weapons.

"No, not him anyways. Jorge didn't get me out, Daryl....Dwight did "  She answered quiet as anything.

Watching my face as it screwed up in anger once more. Just can't help it.

I hoped he'll end up doin the right thing, still just can't believe it though. Can't let myself.

"He's fuckin playin yer, Nate. That's how them pricks operate. Bet he even told yer to come here to Hilltop didn't he? Jeezus! "

"As soon as Negan gets wind of it? Then Dwight's gonna lead em right here to take us both back. Score himself some points....fuck! "

Baby brain be damned! She fuckin knows better than to trust him of all people. Especially after I told her what he did to me in the forest. Was probably all part of their plan....again.

Treat her real good, like a princess even I'm bettin.

Make her feel safe and complacent....suck her in with a load of bullshit. While at the same time torturing me to breakin point. Then simply let her go, so she'll think it's an act of contrition. Mercy or somethin.

Like good cop and bad cop all rolled into one person. AND SHE STUPIDLY FELL FOR IT....FOR FUCK'S SAKE!

"We're all in danger now thanks to yer. Everyone here at Hilltop as well as Alexandria. Gotta get away now before yer do any more damage than yer already have. Yer dumb fuckin...."

Shrugged into my vest, tryin at the same time to tug my bow away from the bag.

"He didn't play me, Daryl. Dwight doesn't even know you're here."

"When he took me to where you were so we could get you out too? You'd already escaped. We found Sherry's note, she's long gone as well. He said Negan will probably think she released us both and bolted too."