Chapter 48 - In The Air Tonight (Phil Collins)

NATE

"Judith....to the quarry and back?"  Jessie whispered her doubts to Rick as we huddled together near the gazebo.

Michonne and I kept watch, making sure none of the un-dead take an undue interest in our little group. My eyes continually scanned the compound. Locking on Jorge's as he stood like a statue at the window of the infirmary.

I took a couple of stumbling steps in his direction before forcibly stopping my feet from going any further.

There's just too many of them....walkers. And while our cloaks of blood and gore shield us, no way can we take up refuge in another house. We'll just be stuck in a different place.

Trapped for goodness knows how long.

Rick has realised it too, hence his plan to make a break for the quarry. Get the vehicles then lead the walkers away from Alexandria. Like Sasha, Abraham and Daryl had done.

"Don't....just don't go there Nate!"  I scold myself over and over again.

The fear in my chest is seeping out, only to be replaced by desolation.

"I'll take her, keep her safe in my church until you lead them away"  Gabriel's voice is soft but vehement in promise.

And it's one I know without a shadow of doubt he'll keep. Just have to pray that Rick will let go of his distrust and finally allow the man his chance at redemption.

Carl knows too. Didn't hesitate for a second when he slid Juju under Gabriel's cape. She murmured, but he took control and quietly reassured her.

Jeez....wish I could crawl right in there beside her.

They staggered away as I held my breath.

When a walker bumped my shoulder, I stumbled back a little....my head raising up.

That's when I saw the pale moon of Maggie's face. Peering down at us, clinging desperately to the scaffolding. It's the only thing keeping her from the walkers below.

This time when my feet move again? I don't stop them.

"Nate!"  Rick hissed, beckoning for me to link up hands with the group again.

"No, I'm not leaving Maggie on her own. Go!  I'll get to her....share my cape. We'll catch up. Just go Ok, before it gets too dark."

He nodded slightly. Mich reached out and ran her fingers lightly down my face, before being tugged away by the human daisy chain.

I kept tottering backwards over the grass. Watching them as they make their way slowly towards the hole in the fence.

*

It took me five minutes of shambling to reach the scaffolding.

Slowly picked up the ladder and shored it against the fence. All the while, taking peeps at the little group....following their progress.

I'd climbed halfway up when murmurings turned into screams. Looking on, I shoved a fist in my mouth to stop myself from shrieking.

Sam and his Mum are being swallowed up by walkers. Carl is desperately trying to wrench his wrist free from Jessie's death grip.

Tugging my rifle around, I lined up the shot and took out the walker closing in on him. While Rick smashed his tomahawk down on Jessie's arm. As they broke free, a look of horror spread onto Rick's face and my eyes followed his.

Ron....Ron is holding up a pistol. Except he isn't pointing it at walkers.

He's aiming at Rick.

Before I can let loose with a round at Ron's head, Michonne's sword pierces his chest from behind. There's an echo of a gunshot....only it isn't mine.