Chapter 46 - Breakdown Dead Ahead (Boz Scaggs)

NATE

"We need to get all our people on it. Our  people...."

Rick and Michonne are standing on Deanna's porch, arguing.

While I'm curled up on the little swinging chair. Cuddling Juju, who's sleeping after gulping down some oatmeal I made for her.

The never-ending snarls of the thousands of walkers outside the walls aren't keeping her from her dreams though. I stroked and kissed her angel face, begging them to be sweet ones.

The opera of the un-dead is  however drowning the little whimpers that escape me every now and then. Even though I'm trying my darndest to hold them in.

It's been over twenty-four hours now since Daryl kissed me goodbye. And if all had gone well? They should've been back in half that time. Glenn and Nicholas sooner than that even.

And as for Enid?

All I can do is pray that when she made her mad dash, it didn't result in a head-on collision with the horde.

Yup, they can't all just waltz on up to the gates. Thanks to the mosh pit waiting for unwilling crowd surfers. But if they're out there now and trying to get in, they would've sent us some kind of a signal?

Anything....just to let us know they're safe?

'Toughen the fuck up, Baby Monkey'  Daryl's voice whispered in my ear.

And I kid you not, folks. I swear I felt his hand pat my bum....

Gave myself a little shake then tuned back into the discussion.

We're trying to make a plan to get rid of our uninvited guests. Distraction and redirection are needed, whatever we can do to get them turned around and on their way.

Any plan will be better than the one I'd come up with yesterday, that's for sure! And distraction is something need so desperately now.

Have run out of ball bearings, Daryl's supply of hated figurines and finally....the Wedgewood.

"Really?"  Michonne's voice spluttering out now is full of disbelief and quiet anger.

"We're in here....together!  Catching our breath right now. Anything else is just excuses. We have to act now! If we wait, we die."

"Good onya, Mich!"

Whoooopsy  🙄

Thought I'd whispered this, but obviously not. While she tried to smother her grin, Rick turned and gave me his bitch face.

"I take it you agree?"

"Hell yeah, I'm not stupid. First off, she's a woman and we're always right. Secondly, she's got a bloody big sword strapped to her back. So do yourself a favour, Grimes...."

Carol walked out the door with Deanna following hard on her heels.

She's more animated and present than I've seen her in such a long time. Since yesterday? Something has given her a right-royal kick up the buttocks.

It seems that certain 'something'  has been mighty busy lately, eh!

insert ashamed / sheepish Nate-Derpa face here >  😖

"Plans....for the expansion. For after this"  Deanna handed a roll of paper to Michonne.

"It'll be a lot of hard work, but one way or another....there is going to be an 'after this'. What say you, my dear young Nate?"