Chapter 89 - Tears In Heaven (Eric Clapton)

DARYL

"Yer hear that?"  I mumbled, jumpin out of sleep.

Glanced through the open door of the cabin. The same one that me and Nate were put in after our escape from the Sanctuary.

Nuthin is moving outside from what I can see?

"Can't hear anything over your snoring"  Carol grumbled and poked me in the back.

"Hey, yer the one who chose to come out here to crash....remember? Yer can always go bunk in the Royale Boodwa  with His Highness. If sleepin with us trailer trash ain't yer thing."

"God no!  It's like a sauna in there. I'll just smother the riff-raff with my pillow if he starts revving like a Harley engine in his sleep again. And  I was perfectly comfortable on the bench outside until you  insisted I come in here."

"Yer know, apart from the missus? Yer the only other woman I ever shared my  bed with. And  the only one who's ever bitched about any snorin."

"Maybe she wears earplugs. And anyway, who said I was bitching? The other is quite a distinction though. I'm feeling rather honoured actually, Pookie."

"Yeah, reckon Nate's beyond honoured too. Ain't had me no complaints so far"  I smirked away her 'Pfffft'  and elbow to my spine in response.

"So you saved yourself for marriage, huh? How very sweet. Now tell me....was Nate gentle with you? "  She sniggered away my groans at her teasing.

Have got meself so grumped up now, there's no way I can get back revving again.

😈

"How's Tobin doing? That stab wound of his looked pretty ragged."

He's one of a half-dozen or so who got injured when the Saviors showed up again.

But this time we were prepared for them, thanks to Mags. We all followed her plan to the letter. Just as I'd followed Carl's plan back in Alexandria.

"Siddiq patched him up. He'll be good."

Know Carol well enough by now to tell she's just leadin into somethin.

"Have you read it yet? Your letter?  I saw Michonne hand over two of them"  Shook my head and rolled over onto my back.

"I think you should. Don't leave it too long, Ok?"

Nodded this time, except I know I probably won't. Not until all this is over anyways. Cos I have a feelin I know what he's written. What he's gonna tell....ask  me to do.

"Yer Ok?"

"Gotta be. Daryl....do you hear that?"

"Gates opened a while ago before I nodded off. Probably shift change for the lookouts."

"No, it sounds like...."

A growl and then....screams!

*

It's total chaos. Folk are runnin everywhere in the near dark.

Generators have been turned off to save fuel. But in the dim light of the lanterns and candles? Carol and me can see walkers.

And some of them are makin their way into the mansion!

By the time we pushed our way inside and up the stairs, I'd already put my knife in three heads. Know Carol has done just as many.

Rick and Mich are on the first-floor landing doing the exact same.

"Daryl?"

Carol's eyes went huge. When one scream pierced through all the others, loud and clear. I spun around to her in shock.