Chapter 22 - Don't Look Back In Anger (Oasis)

NATE

"Can't believe yer really here...."  He kept whispering as he turned my head one way and then another.

Kissing my temple, an ear, my forehead....

"Daryl, I'm sorry but....we really have to go! "

The desperate tone in the voice actually got through to him this time. So he stood up and lifted me with him.

Turning my head slightly against Daryl's chest I saw a man in his mid-thirties. Clean-shaven and rather preppy looking. He's gazing back at me with a kind face and gentle smile.

"Hi. I'm ummmm....Aaron?"  His voice went up slightly in question.

"Are you asking me or telling me? Is Aaron really your name...."  I whispered a bit shakily,

"....because you don't sound too sure. Ever thought of maybe wearing a name tag? Remove all doubt."

Morgan is standing behind him. The look of concern on his face fell away once he spotted my tentative smile.

Aaron gave a sheepish little laugh.

"Daryl told Eric and I that you're a bit of a teaser. It's a pleasure to finally meet you....wish it was under better circumstances though. I'm sure happy and relieved you both turned up when you did. But right now? We HAVE to leave."

"Teaser? Pfffft! You sure it wasn't....total shit stirring pain in the ass?"

Aaron's head whipped back and he gaped at me in open-mouthed astonishment.

So I know my assumption is the correct one  🫤

*

Daryl kept his arm tight around my waist as he steered me towards the road. A motorbike and a beat-up sedan are parked there.

"Why don't yers go on, head back towards home. Wait at the crossroads....we'll catch up"  Daryl suggested to Aaron.

"See you soon, Funny Face"  Morgan kissed me goodbye.

He's got my pack and both our sticks in his hands.

They were just about to drive off. When I pushed away from Daryl, stopped them....and yanked open the rear door.

"Nate?"  Daryl's voice cried out in anguish from behind me.

He then whispered, "Chinese burn".

What the...?

Does he honestly think I want to leave with them instead of staying here with him?

On hearing my short, sharp whistle? A streak of fur came flying around the corner of the fence line. When I crouched down Muttles collided with my chest. Nearly knocking me flat.

I ruffled his licking, panting face and gave him a kiss on the head. Before flicking my wrist at the back seat. He jumped in immediately and sat there regally. Paws bouncing in excitement....awaiting his chauffeur to drive off.

"Be good. And don't fart, mister!"  I admonished, closing the car door.

"She's not....it's not....let me explain...."  Morgan turned to Aaron's horrified face as they drove off.

I spun around to Daryl. Taking him in fully for the first time in over six months.

His hair is so long, you could put it in a ponytail or even braid it. Wet puffy eyes are peeking forlornly through the straggly fringe.