Chapter 47 - Rocket Man (Elton John)

NATE

"NOOOO...."

I let off round after round at the walkers surrounding Maggie. The ladder fell from under her and she's desperately hanging onto the lookout platform by her fingertips.

Trying to claw her way upwards.

The air is full of dust and soot. It isn't slowing the walkers down any. They just keep sliding through the gap in the wall, tumbling over the debris like a never-ending tide.

When a hand touched my shoulder I spun around. Barely managing to stop my picket from entering Father Gabriel's ear.

Don't know if it's the result of his near-death at my hands or the walkers closing in on us? Putting a look of abject terror on his face.

"Nate, we must go now....please...."

I only started to move after seeing Maggie clamber onto the platform and collapse in exhaustion. She's safe....for now.

"Come on"  I grabbed Gabriel's hand and hauled him along behind me, puncturing heads as we went.

My pistols are kaput, no time to reload. And my rifle is useless in such close quarters.

But he can use it?

Making sure the safety is on I thrust it into his hands, motioning for him to swing it like a golf club. We ploughed our way over the grass to the street. Just in time to see Morgan and Carol turn the corner, run away from us.

Jorge waved wildly to me from the porch of the Infirmary, where Leo and G are firing shots into the herd. But as I turned to sprint in his direction, the dead billowed out between us.

Spinning around again I heard a rattle. Caught a glimpse of Eugene's face, before Rosie and Tara tugged the garage roller door down. Crushing the head of a walker as it went.

Then I notice them.

Carl is running hell for leather with Rick and Mich, who have Deanna propped between them. Jessie is gesturing them into her house.

She has Juju in her arms....she has Juju....  😮‍💨

Gabriel and I didn't even blink, just took off after them. Nearly got a broken nose when Rick almost slammed the door shut in my face.

"Deanna's injured...."  He pushed me towards the stairs.

I slung her arm around my shoulders. Started dragging her upwards, gently as I can.

"Go up and protect the children, leave me here. That's an order, dear!"

Her grey and sweaty face flopped against my neck.

"Deanna? My Mum tried raising me to be polite and respectful. But as you're well aware she made a right old pig's ear of that, huh? So, please excuse me when I say to you...."

First landing now only eight more steps to go.

"....fuck that order crap Congresswoman Monroe. We all know I can barely listen to suggestions, let alone follow...."

I kicked open a door and lay her down gently on what must be Ron's bed.

Don't think it's loss of blood and light-headedness....making her eyes roll at me?

*

Less than a minute later I cinched a tourniquet on her thigh and it gradually stopped the flow. Only the bedspread seems to be bloodying even more under her ribs?