Chapter 79 - Stand By Me (Ben E. King)

NATE

A soft knock on the door made the rifle cartridge clatter from my hand.

Carol maybe?

Haven't seen her since she arrived back two days ago.

I'm not upset or anything that she hasn't sought me out....honest! The King and everyone else here have way  more of a priority over her time now. And that's just the way it should be.

We'll catch up eventually. Not as if I'm going anywhere, like home....huh?  ☹️

As soon as I got through the first major barf early this morning, I headed outside to hunt again.

....

....

....

*muddy eyes close, shakes head in usual shame*

Ummmm, yeah....Ok.

Sorry for the break in transmission there. That's just my horrendously guilty conscience, giving me the filthiest of looks for fibbing to you guys.

I was really looking for Morgan.

Ezekiel assured me he'll return to the Kingdom eventually and I let him hold onto that hope.

I tried as well. But once I came across more and more piles of recently disposed walkers with the tell-tale holes in their heads?

I knew my  hope was as tenuous as my friend's sanity.

It's only sheer luck that I stumbled across the little cottage and saw him sitting outside on the steps. And total dumb luck that I paused behind a tree to tighten a bootlace.

Because that brief stop more than likely saved my life?

This time I couldn't just bound in, grab a bottle of vodka and sit on the porch. Beg him to talk to me. Hear him and try to help like I tried for Hershel.

Morgan finished whittling his Bo staff down to an even finer point then started to flail about with it. All the while ranting maniacally to himself. And I knew I had no choice but to leave him be.

Because I'm not just me  anymore. I'm Daryl and bubby now too. Risk versus reward.

And if Morgan ever hurt his Funny Face? Then gets a moment of clarity....realises what he's done?  The damage to him will be irreparable I think  😔

I stumbled blindly back to the Kingdom, feeling more powerless than ever. And without even the most fruitless Nate 'plan'  as a dangling carrot to give me  hope.

So I spent the rest of my time shovelling horse shit from the Kingdom's extensive stables. Wasn't going to let the day waste itself.

*

The door opened to reveal Nabila. Swathed in a soft pink Hijab and minus her ever-present dungarees.

"Awesome soles! Looks like you've waded through a rainbow"  I grinned at her feet.

While my new friend and counsellor preened, struck up supermodel poses in her multi-coloured gumboots.

"Oh, you mean these ol' things? You don't think they're a bit like....OTT do you?"  She gave what sounded like a sigh of relief when I shook my head.

"Rock that post-apocalyptic fashion statement, girl! So, how come you're all gussied up tonight? Hot date for a royal ball or something? Seriously, Nab. You're looking like....total babe."