Chapter 41 - It's Probably Me (Sting)

NATE

"Oh, God! Nate....I'm so sor..."

I cut Francine off immediately as Leo bounded in. Draped his arms around her.

"Don't you dare apologise! As my hubby keeps reminding me....we have washing machines."

"You listen to her, toots"  Leo crooned comfortingly in her ear.

"I did it. So did my little warrior princess her first time. First time killing a walker that is...."

I poked my tongue out at him and Francine laughed shakily.

"Are you two always like this?"

"Yes"  Leo and I replied in sync.

Him gleefully. Me? In resignation.

Rick has moved back to the road again with Deanna in tow. Morgan's already had a dig at him, but idiot that I am? Just can't help myself and blunder right on in.

"If you don't pull that head out of your ass, Rick Grimes? I'm gonna shove it in further. Turn you into a damn pretzel....you bloody...."  I whispered the threat furiously under my breath.

Followed it up with a stream of expletives  🤬

"You told them! Promised that we'll teach them....show the way. When the hell are you going to start leading by example huh? You get what you give, Grimes...."

"....and right now you're giving everyone the finger!"

We glared at each other. Before he gave a disgusted flick of his head and went back to the sandbags he's been filling. Acting as if the last five or so minutes of action never even happened.

I huffed out my breath in frustration, accompanied by quite a few more oaths. Until I realise Deanna is still by my side. Gazing at me like she's....proud almost?

"That's my girl!"  She whispered with a tiny smile, before rubbing my arm and walking off.

Leaving me standing here. Gaping at her back while my jaw takes a swan dive south  😲

*

We finished the day's work in relative peace. Then our family headed back to their respective homes to clean up before coming over to our place for dinner.

Daryl advised them it's BYO plates.

Rosie and I served up our creation and they all tucked in. At first, everyone was still a bit subdued by today's events....the thought of tomorrows.

Our only dry run through the plan we've put together.

And for those of us left behind? Maggie and I are going to take them through the evacuation plan for the first time.

But food along with Leo, Abraham and Tara quickly took care of the quiet atmosphere. Soon the joint was full of noise and laughter. Their joking and banter rubbing off on everyone else.

Everyone but Rick and I.

I watched his back as he quietly closed the door behind him and went to sit out on our porch.

Let him have ten minutes on his own before slipping out through the same door. Stood next to him and peered out over the silent street.

"Come here, you!"  Rick whispered, taking my hand and tugging me down until my bum was planted on the step.

He leaned back on the support post and pulled me into his arms.

"You sure have quite a fine vocabulary going on there nowadays, my little spitfire. Never even heard some of those cusses before. And pretzel? Now that's imaginative...."