Chapter 66 - Have You Ever Seen The Rain (CCR)

NATE

I felt the weight of Negan's eyes on me for the whole journey. But I never let mine leave a pin of light opposite me. Shining through a bullet hole in the van's panel.

While I hold an unconscious Daryl tightly in my arms.

Know if I do, I might give myself away. So I keep the shaking sobs and vacuous stares going for the duration. The grieving widow.

It isn't an act, believe me....

Eventually, we started slowing down. I heard the sounds of gates being rolled back and we drew to a final stop.

"Home sweet home, darlin"  Negan announced gaily.

He and Dwight leapt out. I took probably my last opportunity to quickly lean down to Daryl's face and lay my lips on his.

"Yours. No one else's....ever. Love you infinity. I'm sorry."

The rear doors swung open and I was tugged out. Grimacing as the full sunlight glared into my swollen eyes. Daryl came to with a piteous moan when he was manhandled as well. Held upright between two hulking neanderthals.

As my eyes focused, I quickly glanced around. Taking in the fact we're standing in something resembling a factory courtyard. My eyes went up and up until they reached the top of what looks like a huge derelict plant?

This building sure as hell didn't make the tour of the countryside that Daryl took me on. But then again going by the distance travelled over the last twenty-four hours? We must be at least fifty miles if not far more from Alexandria.

No....most was spent zig-zagging trying to get through the Saviors roadblocks. Then in the back of a van. So I really have no idea of the distance. Or direction even  ☹️

"Strip him down boys. Make sure he's not concealing."

Dwight ripped Daryl's vest and shirt away. I winced seeing the bullet hole just under his right collarbone. But when they spun him around, I realise it's a through and through just like my injury had been.

I started praying that Negan will stick to his word and let his doctor tend to the wound. Because it looks awful. So does Daryl.

"Well, this old dog has had himself a fair few whippings in the past. Obviously slow to learn his lessons. Go ahead, D. He's quite the catch....you've earnt it."

Negan nodded like a benevolent father and Dwight quickly donned Daryl's vest. Preening slightly as he pirouetted.

My man is now standing on his own. Shaking and naked in front of the assembled group who are laughing and jeering. Negan looked him up and down. Clicking his tongue as his eyebrows rise in admiration.

"Take a good look, Natalie. Now tell me....was your old man hung like my Daryl? Hell, I'd be jealous myself if I wasn't built like a....well shit. What do we have here? Damn! "

He did that little, theatrical pelvic thrust of his again. This time holding up whatever Dwight has handed to him. Shook the piece of cloth out until it fluttered in the slight breeze.

"Looky, looky. My Daryl's been getting himself some nooky! "

This brought on more sniggers from the assembled group. As Negan held up the tiny red G-string I'd worn for Daryl that night. After he came home from his day out with Rick and finding Jesus.

He'd shoved them in his jeans pocket the morning after. And I'll always remember the look on his face as he did so.

"Mmmm, smells like Tide washing powder and nectar from the Gods"  Negan cackled.