Chapter 85 - Come Into My World (Era)

NATE

When we left Virginia behind, Jorge glided to a stop under the shadow of the Washington Monument. Ushered me into the driver's seat.

"In case you have to find your own way back. Gives you the chance to keep your eyes open and take note of our route....surroundings"  He explained.

Though I'm positive he used that excuse as a diversion for me? So I'll stop silently leaking any more than I already am. Leaving Daryl and the rest of our family, friends behind.

D.C is eerily....spookily  quiet.

Yup, a few walkers are wandering around here and there. Cars haphazardly clutter streets that're strewn with rubbish. Most are blocked off with humongous, tall and deep sandbag barriers or cargo containers even.

It's the masses of weeds sprouting up through the cracks in the roads and sidewalks sending a shiver through my body. The previously perfectly manicured lawns and gardens of the Mall are now nothing more than overgrown....jungles.

Any minute now I expect a tumbleweed will blow itself across our path. Instead, a flurry of paper and leaves does the job.

It isn't a chill of fear so much. Can't really describe the emotion running through me right now. Jorge is experiencing the same as well I think? Can feel it coming off him in waves that crash headlong into my own.

Unwittingly, I've slowed right down. Barely topping ten MPH until we reached the Arboretum on the other side of the city.

Two centuries ago when DC was first founded? It was looked on as the main seat of power for the western world. Almost the entire world. And today, three years after our old lives ended....it's all but deserted.

Mother Earth is quickly swallowing it up once more.

What'll it all look like, another three years from now....a hundred? Will any breathing human being still be around to see?

"Does the world suddenly seem so much bigger to you, corazón?"  He asked quietly, somberly.

"It always did. But now...."

Couldn't finish. Just don't know how to, I suppose?

The Oracle couldn't either.

*

Came to an abrupt halt again. Just over the border to Maryland.

Had to use the bumper to laboriously nudge aside the concrete traffic barriers blocking the highway. Then pushed them back again. To stop any ambulatory speed bumps from wandering through after us.

An hour or so plus a pee stop later, we traversed one of the longest bridges I've ever been on. Over the Chesapeake Bay. And soon we'll be crossing another smaller one to get off Kent Island.

We're making good time now. This side of the highway is pretty much devoid of abandoned cars and walkers.

We're halfway to Delaware and right about now?

Daryl will be setting off the first explosion. To get the herd walking in the direction we need them to take. Our first formal  declaration of war against Negan and his so-called Saviors.

"I just don't understand why...."  I began.

"Why you're driving on the wrong side of the road again, hermanita?"  He smirked.

I made no attempt whatsoever this time, to steer the Explorer back to the other  side of the empty road. Won't say the right side. Because as far as I'm concerned? The left-hand side of any road IS  the right side  😜