Chapter 5| Daanish "Bhai"

Summer, 2007.

Sana cycled as fast as she could to her best friend, Alishba's home, she just lives across the street. The sling of her heavy bag around her neck. She was sweating profusely but didn't stop. They have exams starting next week and the idiotic professors have given last minute assignments as revision. The toughest was Mathematics, both the girls hated it. Sana was hoping they study sincerely and don't land up gossiping like always. Sana smirked as she thought of a juicy gossip she heard when she was busy in one of the cubicles in the girl's washroom back in school.

Sana paddled faster as she imagined Alishba's face listening to the gossip.

Sana parked her cycle in the driveway next to Alishba's family car. She climbed down and adjusted her white pants and sandals. She adjusted the sling of her bag around her neck. Happily, she walked towards the main door.

Alishba's father was very strict and doesn't approve of her visiting Sana's place and so it was mostly Sana who came to her friend's place. Like every other day it was a normal day, or so Sana thought.

She rang the doorbell and clenched the sling of her handbag as she waited. A minute later the main door opened, and a gorgeous young man stepped out.

'Oh!' Sana exclaimed as her gaze met his hazel eyes. Those complimented his skin tone perfectly. The Diamond cut face with a clean-shaven look and his brown hair neatly combed and side-parted. Sana froze with her mouth slightly parted.

'Yes?' His voice made her shiver inwardly. Yet she stood unblinkingly. The guy raised his eyebrow. 'Sana?'

She felt her heart flutter when he called her name. Slowly, she nodded her head. He smiled, and she smiled back a dreamy silly smile.

'Come in.' He turned around and Sana's smile disappeared. She shook her head and followed him inside.

'Alishba! Alishba! Your friend is here.' He called and then looked at Sana. She looked back at him. 'She must be on the terrace or in her room.' He said, and Sana nodded. She had been to this house almost all her life and she knew everything. But one thing that confused and excited her was the fact that this guy knew about her. Her gaze followed the guy and her confusion got cleared when she saw him enter his room.

Daanish!

*******************************

As Sana climbed the stairs to the terrace she wondered how Daanish knew her. They have hardly only seen glimpses of each other until he had left for engineering College to Mumbai. But after so long when they met he recognized her while she didn't. Sana smiled. Whenever she had been to Alishba's place she had only seen him come out of his room for a glass of water. They had never exchanged words or looks. She had seen his photos in the photo frames but never paid much attention. But looking at him so closely, Sana regrets not taking him seriously. Then, the thought that she was crushing over her best friend's brother sort of creep-ed her little.

Sana pushed open the door to the terrace and looked around. Alishba stood next to the parapet, her wet waist-length tresses open and resting on her shoulder. A book in her hand. She kept staring at the book and mumbling something urgently. Sana pressed her lips tightly and placed her hand on her hip.

'Alishba.' She called, and her friend turned around. She smiled and waved at her. Sana happily walked towards her and enquired what she was doing out in the hot Delhi sun? Alishba sighed.

'Damn this long hair,' – She pointed at her hair and whined, - 'Drying it is a herculean task.'

Sana was impressed by her choice of words. Truth be told, Sana always envies Alishba's hair. She has long thick hair while Sana's hair was stuck on her shoulder and isn't as thick as her friend's. But she was working on it.

Sana shifted and peeped into the book Alishba was reading. She groaned realizing her friend was studying Physics. The girls looked at each other and made a face. Sana took the book from her hand and flipped a page.

'This Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, these subjects, why do they even exist.' Sana said bitterly. Alishba nodded. Sana placed her book back and sat on the parapet. She removed the sling of her bag from over her head. Alishba continued to learn the theorem. Sana took out her Physics book.

'Which Theorem?' Sana asked, shifting little. Alishba sat next to her friend and showed her the details. Sana quickly flipped to the page and stared at the book. Everything looked gibberish to her. For a moment Sana wondered if she was holding the book upside down. She checked, she wasn't.

'By the way, your brother Daanish is here? I am surprised.' Sana asked after a while of cracking her head with the theorem. Alishba looked at her and nodded brightly.

'Bhai has just completed engineering. He has gotten highest Rank in his college. He is a brilliant student. And look at me.' Alishba made a whining face, again.

Sana was very impressed. Daanish's parents have thought of his name very wisely. Just like his name he is very intelligent.

'And hey, call him Daanish Bhai. He is my brother.' Alishba said casually.

'Hey!' – Sana snapped, - 'He is your brother, not mine.' She said defensively. She and her friend both were amazed by her tone.

'Fine. Chill. Why are you getting hyper?' Alishba said.

'Sorry.' Sana mumbled. Her cheeks burned with embarrassment. She then tried concentrating on their studies. 

********************************

So, guys, Daanish "Bhai" is here 

 How was the chapter, guys? Please, drop your thoughts in the comments *smiles*