Chapter 52| Stealing Glances & Baked Cookies

Entering the main gate, once again Sana felt a hollowness and began to dread facing her mother and her stepfather. Her so called, family.

Saba walked in front of her. She took the handbag while Sana dragged the wheeled bag with her. She looked around the garden. It has become greener than she remembered from before.

'Come fast, Appi. Mom has prepared Biryani for you.' Saba chirped happily. Sana scoffed. As if. Her mother never makes anything for her. Nevertheless, Sana quietly followed her sister.

The main door was opened. Saba entered first and yelled happily. Sana rolled her eyes.

'Sana?'

She looked upon hearing her mother's voice.

Why does she even try? Why now? Why not when I needed her – Sana thought dryly.

Her mother smiled at her while Sana remained expressionless. She hurried to her and engulfed her daughter in a tight hug. Sana doesn't hug her back. Mrs. Shah broke apart and smiled placing her palm under her chin and lifted her face a little.

'Wow! My daughter is looking so beautiful.' She complimented. Sana doesn't even move a muscle she kept staring at her mother. Her eyes devoid of any emotions. Mrs. Shah sensed that, and her smile disappeared.

'Beta? Is everything-'

'Saba, I am going to freshen up.' Sana looked at her sister. Then, she took her bag from Saba and dragged her trolley bag with her to the room. Saba and Mrs. Shah exchanged a helpless look.

*****************************

'Is everything alright between you and Daanish?' Saba inquired as she stepped out of the bathroom. Sana looked up from her magazine and frowned on seeing her sister dressed in her Hello Kitty PJs.

'You had been touching my bag?' Sana raised her eyebrow. Saba picked up a moisturizer from the dressing table and turned around.

'Obviously. You know me na, Appi.' She walked around the bed and sat beside Sana. Sana shifted placing her left foot on her right. 'You are just changing the topic.' Saba spoke squeezing moisturizer on the back of her palm.

'What topic?' Sana muttered sinking lower on the bed. Saba rolled her eyes and asked.

'Daanish's topic. Back in London, you guys are neighbors, he used to stay over at your place in the night and then all of sudden you guys are behaving like strangers.' Saba said.

Sana pressed her lips tightly and angrily closed the book. She slammed it at the bedside table and turned to her side.

'I am sleepy.' She muttered covering herself with the duvet. Confusedly, Saba blinked at her sister.

Sana squeezed her eyes closed, praying for her sister to drop the topic. Luckily, Saba doesn't bring the topic again. Sana relaxed and stared at the wall front until sleep engulfed her.

**********************************

Sana felt nervous as she opened the main gate to Alishba's bungalow. She noticed the lightings and the freshly painted building and smiled. She walked through the lawn admiring the beautiful rose and marigold flowers. Sana bend to pick up a flower when a strong baritone startled her.

'No touching the flowers.'

She looked up and found Daanish standing next to her. His arms folded and his gorgeous hazel eyes expressionless. Sana gulped and forced a smile. Daanish doesn't bother smiling. Sana's heart dropped. She missed the old happy Daanish. He had always been a different person with her. She smiled recollecting how he had held her hand, with full authority, and ran around the Castle.