Chapter 24| Envy

Next morning, Sana got up early and quickly showered, she wore loose grey batwing top and white shorts. She combed her short hair and wore white sneakers. Without disturbing Saba's sleep, cautiously she left the room.

The elevator door opened, and Sana stepped out. She brushed her hair from her forehead and walked into the restaurant. She looked around. Not many people were present for breakfast at this hour. As she looked around, she found Daanish with Nadia. The two sat facing each other and were chatting. It was Nadia speaking while Daanish was intently listening to her. Sana clenched her plate tightly and looked away. Early morning, her mood got spoiled.

Ignoring the negativity, she stuffed her plate with scrambled eggs and toast. She picked up a glass of orange juice and placed it on her plate. Staring at her plate she quickened her pace towards an empty seat. She placed her plate on the table and pulled a chair. She was about to sit when Daanish called him and she froze.

She mentally rolled her eyes as he and Nadia walked up to her.

They finished eating already – Sana thought.

'Hey, Sana. You weren't well last night. Everything alright?' Daanish asked. He sounded and looked concerned. Sana liked it. She nodded.

'Yes, dear. Take care.' Nadia extended her hand and patted her arm. Sana doesn't respond to her. Just then, Nadia got a call and she excused herself. Sana smiled to herself.

'If things get serious then I can have a doctor called?' Daanish asked looking at her. Sana shook her head.

'It was just a headache. I am fine.' She said. Daanish looked at her plate and then at her. He smiled.

'Eat well and take rest.' He adjusted the thin rim of his glass. Sana felt touched with his concern and nodded.

'Daanish, Jaan, let us go.' Nadia called, and Sana cringed.

Jaan, yuck – She thought

'Coming.' Daanish answered back and then turned to look at Sana, - 'Take care.' He patted her arm. Sana sighed watching him walking away. He walked up to Nadia, they held hands and left the restaurant. Sana looked down at her plate and picked it up. Time to fill the plate more.

*********************************

Sana was happy, finally, she was getting time to spend with Alishba, alone. The girls stood on the balcony having a warm cup of green tea. Alishba has become a very health and diet conscious. She seemed more determined when Sana said she takes yoga classes.

'When is your flight?' Alishba asked and took a sip from her cup.

'Tomorrow, 3 am. I will be flying to Mumbai tonight and then to England.' She replied.

'Hmm... and your family?'

Sana stiffened. Alishba blinked at her. 'Dunno.' – Sana shrugged, - 'I have important work back home that is why I am leaving early.' She replied with a straight face. Alishba nodded thoughtfully. As they drank their tea, Sana's gaze fell on Alishba's engagement ring.

'Solitaire.' Sana grinned and Alishba blushed nodding her head. She extended her hand showing off the ring. Sana held her fingers and admired the ring.

'Nice catch, Aahil.' Sana winked and Alishba blushed harder.

'Yes. And I think he has a cousin. If you are interested, we can fix you with him.' Alishba nudged her arm but Sana shook her head.

'No thanks, I will find my own.' Sana replied confidently. Alishba looked on impressed.

'You have someone in mind?' She asked taking a sip of the tea.