Paying the price

"Tom, no you're not listening." Evie spoke into the cell phone. Her hand running her fingers through her hair. She was just so frustrated with their situation and this was only the beginning.

"Evie, stop talking over me."

"What you're saying makes no sense Tom, literally I'm trying to help you!" Evie exclaimed, sitting on the edge of her bed. She glanced at her little Sid sleeping in his bed.

"What do you mean?"

"It doesn't matter anymore Tom."

"No yes it does if you're upset about it Bear!"

"Tom, just go to bed. It's late over there, we'll talk about this later." Evie sighed. Tom disagreed and Evie felt her heart beat slow down.

"Bear-"

"It's okay Tommy, just go to bed. We can sort this out when you come home okay?" She softly replied, not wanting to hear how sad her voice was getting.

"Okay, I'll see you soon then yeah?" He asked, and Evie hummed in reply. Feeling water prick at her eyes because she was just so frustrated.

"Have a good day today baby, I love you." He mumbled into the phone and Evie reciprocated.

"Sweet dreams, I love you too."

She pulled the phone away from her ear and pressed the red button. Setting her phone next to her on the bed, she felt a tear escape her left eye trailing down her face and she quickly wiped it away.

Evie really wanted them to work, and she wanted them to be able to get over this. She felt as if she was over exaggerating but she knew that this was going to be a reoccurring problem in their relationship.

She sighed, pressing herself up and started her way over to her puppy.

The two of them just felt so down, they didn't want to admit that the communication between the two was a burden. It was easier when they were best friends, it worked for them when they were friends. Nothing less, nothing more.

She crouched down to the puppy, delicately petting his face. Watching his eyes slowly open and excitedly looked into Evie's, and it didn't fail to make Evie grin and coo at her puppy.

She sat down next to her puppy, stroking his soft black fur. Evie let out a long sigh, trying to find a solution to their evident problem. He would be gone for months soon, and then he would be away for even longer while filming the second movie.

Evie desperately wanted this to make this work, but everything seemed to not be in her favor. Also, Tom would be arriving back home in a couple days for the premier in London.

~~~

Tom laid awake, staring at the ceiling of his hotel room. He wanted to call Evie, and tell her that everything would be okay. But he knew it would just end up in a messy fight.

He thought maybe things would be better, if he were single. But he immediately scolded himself, shaking his head at the thought. He loved Evie, and knew that they could overcome this issue.

Tom was affected just as much as Evie was, he wished that he could join her. But since now that she was working, things weren't as easy as they were in the summer. Being away from her was excruciatingly painful, he always wished that Evie didn't have to work. But he knew Evie would never depend on him for money.

He wanted her to be with him in that moment and cuddle, but he thought that maybe he was being overly needy. But they have been apart for weeks now, and soon it would have to be months.

It was just the lack of communication between the two, which just left them grumpy and upset with each other.

Tom turned on his side, pulling the pillow underneath his head while his phone displayed a glow in front of his screen. He bit his lip, clicking his photo app. To reminisce all of his memories with his favorite girl. Already, his home and lock screen was a picture of Evie and Tessa grinning at the camera and it warmed his heart every time. 

He deeply sighed, his thumb sliding across the screen. He bit his lip, coming across some pictures of his girlfriend in just his blue button up that looked better on her although it was baggy and loose. She was in his bed, leaning against some pillows with her beautiful legs on display and she was smirking at the phone. But once he scrolled to the series of them, you could tell that she was yelling at him and began to cover her bare face. His heart fluttered at the  photos, and let out a little laugh.

Then his heart sank, she deserves the world. She deserves someone who can be there with her all the time, someone who can kiss her good night and still be there in the morning without her worrying that he would be gone for months at a time.

Tears welled in his eyes, as he thought about their situation. He had been so busy with work and just pushed all of his worries to the back of his head but now they were all just hitting him now.

He always knew that a job like this, you would have to pay the price some point in your life. Tom has been working his whole life to get where he is, and he wouldn't trade it for the world. But there were moments, amongst all the fans and paparazzi, that he wished to be back home with his girl.

To do normal things, like surprise her during her lunch break with flowers and her favorite tacos from her favorite mexican corner shop. To snuggle with her while it rained outside, or to argue with her about little things and make up for it. He genuinely believed they are soulmates, being the cheesy bloke he is. They were made for each other.

But his career would only grow from here, and he wanted a future with Evie. With their dogs, and some of their own babies running around. He knew that if they got married, and had kids he wouldn't be there to watch them grow up. He won't be able to soothe her after her morning sickness, or get her whatever her pregnancy cravings desired.

He wanted to give her his whole heart, but it's difficult because half of it is in his career. She deserved a man who can give her his world, and Tom's cheeks were now wet with his tears as he thought about all of their plans they made that wouldn't he fulfilled all because of him.