- 25 -

Janet's P.O.V

Leaving the venue we headed straight back to Florida. I couldn't think. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't stop crying because all I kept thinking about is whether he'd be okay or not. I couldn't lose him. He meant everything to me. There was too much that still had to happen between us. I needed him here for the birth of our daughter. I needed him by my side. I couldn't see life without him. He was the love and the only love that I knew existed after all the heartache Wissam put me through. He was my life after heartache. I couldn't lose him.

"Okay, Dunk we're here babygirl. How are you going to do this? If they treat you like they did when he was on that bridge I'mma have to fuck whomever gets in the way up."

I brushed my hand through my hair as I wiped my remaining tears from my face.

"Gil, I have to see him. I can't not be beside him. I have to know that he's okay."

"Then say that you're his fiancé." Melissa grabbed my hand that was shaking as she looked at me. Gil nodded his head in agreement with Missy.

"Dunk, it's the only way. You know they won't let you see him unless you're family. Especially when it's a life or death situation. This is the only way."

"I'll call Mama Kat and see if she can look after Eissa. I know that you don't want him in a hospital being exposed to all kinds of diseases and infections."

"Thank you, Gil." I couldn't even try to pretend to be happy or smile. They could see right through my pain.

"Come with me sis." Missy led me out the car by my hand. The kids all huddled up behind me as we entered the Florida State hospital.

We went right to the front counter where the receptionist was. The woman was a black female who looked to be in her mid forties. She wore glasses on the tip of her nose and her hair was in a bun.

"Hi, can I help you?" Her voice was monotoned which was oddly annoying me. Missy did the talking for me.

"Yes, we're here to see Denzel Chisolm."

"That patient is in critical condition. Who are you to him?"

"We're his family. This is his fiancé." The woman looked from Missy to me.

"Isn't that your backup dancer? Don't you think you're a little too old to be screwing that young man?"

Her voice was already irritating enough. What she'd just said had pissed me off to the fullest.

"Look, bit-" Missy put her hand over my mouth stopping my sentence. I huffed then rolled my eyes. These pregnant mood swings were kicking in, because I'd usually be the sweetest person known to man.

"Look, ma'am now is not the time to pass judgement. She just really needs to see him. This is important. We'll out stay out here if she can go back there to see him."

"Well, like I just said he's in critical condition and she can't be back there. By the way I don't see no ring, fiancé my ass. She probably had something to do with his shooting. Her husband shot him because of her."

I felt Damita Jo slipping through making Missy hold me tighter.

"Fuck this old bitch." Alexandra huffed. "Excuse me sir." We saw her go over to this white male doctor in his 70's.

"Yes, how may I help you?"

"Yes, Denzel Chisolm we need to see him. His fiancé needs to see him."

"Where is she? We've been trying to find some family for him and no one has came. We couldn't look through his contact list because of his phone being dead. Thank you for finally coming."