Can't Win

And it feels like I can't win,
I'm growing up and I'm giving in.

▪▪▪

Music was an escape.

Every artist claimed that, sure. For Finn it really was though. He loved the feeling of having a guitar in his hands and a microphone to his mouth. He loved the way he could get lost in the sounds and words.

The studio day he was about to have was much needed. He hadn't seen Ayla, Jack, or Malcolm in about a month anyway, so he was excited to see some of his best friends once again. His flight to Chicago had landed late last night, and he was up early this morning and in a car on his way.

As he entered the building he was relieved to see no paparazzi outside. He just wanted a normal day for once, and this was finally going to be it.

"Finn!" A voice sounded out and made Finn smile. He walked over to where Jack was standing with his arms open. The two hugged and Finn automatically felt at ease. He had been so stressed over the past couple of days since he saw Millie.

After Ayla and Malcolm had come in, the four got right to it and shared ideas. In only a couple hours, they were in the actual recording studio, trying out different sounds.

"Alright, Finn let's try the first part we came up with with the second riff that Ayla showed us," the producer said from the other side of the glass.

Finn nodded and looked to Ayla as she started to play. He bobbed his head along to it, his curls flopping around. He started to sing, looking up at the producer in case he had them stop.

"Going to Seattle on the Greyhound, I missed..." Finn's voice trailed off as the door behind the producer opened and in walked none other than Millie.

She smiled and waved as best as she could as she held two Starbucks cups in her hands. Ayla stopped playing and looked up, noticing the other girl in the room. It was silent, and Finn couldn't hear what the producer said as he talked to Millie with a smile on his face. Finn looked to the other three in the studio, apologizing before walking out quickly.

"Surprise!" Millie said excitedly. She held out a cup to Finn, "I brought you a coffee too!"

Finn grabbed it, thanking her quietly. This is weird, he thought to himself.

"You don't like coffee, Finn," Malcolm said stepping out of the studio.

Finn gave him a glare and Millie's face fell a bit. Finn automatically felt bad and brought the cup to his lips. He took a drink, trying not to spit it out as it hit his tongue. It wasn't even the fact that he hated the taste of coffee, he just hadn't thought about how hot it was. It burned his tongue and he knew it was going to bother him the rest of the day.

"This is good coffee, thank you," he said to Millie who smiled and nodded.

Malcolm raised an eyebrow and Finn gave him a look that said 'not now'. He shrugged and went forward then, extending his hand to Millie.

"Hi, I'm Malcolm."

"Millie Bobby Brown," Millie said with a polite smile.

"Wow, full name," Malcolm laughed.

"Sorry, force of habit," Millie said slightly embarrassed.

Ayla and Jack came out next, greeting Millie and then standing there awkwardly.

"I'll be right back, I need to talk to Millie," Finn finally said to break the silence. He gestured for Millie to follow him out of the door.

"It was a pleasure meeting you guys," Millie said sweetly before giving a small wave and following Finn.