Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down.

▪▪▪

Millie felt like throwing her phone.

She looked back in the direction that Finn had driven off to and then to the house. Her eyes landed on Finn's mother who was standing in the doorframe with her arms crossed. With a sigh she walked forward and stood in front of her.

"I'm sorry. I hurt him."

It was silent for a couple seconds and Millie looked up to see Mary's face soften a bit.

"Come inside," she said moving so that Millie could walk in.

Mary gestured to the couch and Millie sighed before sitting down. This is going to be awkward as hell. She set her phone on the couch next to her and picked at her nails as Mary sat across from her.

"What happened?" Mary asked as they got settled.

Millie's phone dinged and she closed her eyes before glancing towards it. It dinged again and she sighed before looking back up at Mary. She had to say something. The truth, tell her the truth.

"My ex texted me. He's angry that I'm with Finn...and he decided to start messaging me again after four years," Millie said.

It's partly true.

Mary nodded, "And Finn got angry over that?"

Millie shrugged and looked down,"Not exactly. He got mad because I defended my ex."

"Did you now?" Mary asked.

Millie nodded, "It's just a whole thing that bothers Finn and I know that I shouldn't defend Jacob like that but I don't want him to seem like he's so bad when he isn't."

Mary nodded, "Well I'm biased on this whole thing because Finn is my son so I won't give much input on the problem."

Millie nodded and listened as Mary spoke.

"But I'll give input on how to fix it," She started, "I don't think Finn should have ran out how he did. You need to understand why he's upset though. Put yourself in his situation and realize that maybe you shouldn't have been defending your ex like that. Obviously Finn thinks he's no good for some reason so just trust him a little. He's probably feeling a little betrayed."

Millie sighed at the end of Mary's little speech. She nodded and looked down to her lap before looking back up, "Thank you."

"Of course," Mary said with a smile, "I like you Millie, and I can tell you make Finn happy. That's all I want for him."

Millie nodded and stood up, "Should I follow him?"

"You should give him some time. He's probably just going to Grace's anyway. You should get some sleep and then we'll see him tomorrow," Mary stood up too.

She walked over to Millie and pulled her into a hug before placing a small kiss on her head.

"Goodnight dear."

Millie watched as she walked down the hall to her own room. She then walked to Finn's room and closed the door behind her, knowing that it didn't really matter if it was open tonight. She crawled under the covers and laid on her side. She unlocked her phone and clicked on her messages. Jacob's name was at the top and she opened them up, finding three new messages. Without reading them she started to type out a message. She stared at it, reading it out loud to make sure it made sense.

"Finn and I are happy, please just leave us alone."

She nodded. It was simple but she felt satisfied with it. She pressed send and then set the phone down, staring at it in the dark room. It lit up again with a ding and she grabbed it quickly, opening up the new message.