Touch

We must choose
To reach out and touch.

▪▪▪

The two lost track of time rather quickly.

The water felt calm now and the waves not as big as they had been earlier. Millie floated on her back, only her head staying above the water. Finn stood a couple feet away, looking up at the moon that reflected down onto the two; it was practically their only source of light besides the dim ones at the shore.

Their bodies were starting to go a little numb from the freezing water but neither of them said anything. They had had a ton of fun and ending it seemed like the last thing they wanted to do right now.

Finn let out a yawn and stretched his arms above his head, "We should get out of the water before we freeze."

Millie turned her head to him and sighed, "Yeah."

Finn reached his hand out to her and she grabbed it so he could help her up. They made their way back to the shore, shivering once they were fully out of the water.

"We can sit out here for a while and dry off before we go," Finn offered to which Millie nodded.

He could see her shiver and he reached for his jacket and held it out to her.

"I'm going to get it all wet," she shook her head.

"I'd rather you be warm later," He replied as he pushed the jacket towards her some more.

"Are you sure?"

Finn nodded, "Positive."

Millie gave a small thank you before taking the jacket and putting it over her shoulders. Finn gave a smile back in satisfaction and then sat on the sand with his legs out in front of him. Millie followed suit, leaving a little space between them.

They were silent for a while. Millie pulled her hair out of the rubber band it was in and ran her hands through the tangled mess.

"I can't even imagine how I look right now. My hair is a mop and my makeup is probably leaking everywhere," she laughed.

Finn shook his head, "You look great."

Millie gave him a soft smile that he returned immediately.

"You know I don't think I've ever been this natural in front of anyone since I was younger," she said quietly.

"Really?" Finn asked.

Millie nodded, "I'm always in full glam constantly. My parents say that I have to look perfect at all times."

Finn didn't know what to say. He couldn't believe her parents would tell her that. Weren't they supposed to tell her she looked perfect even without all that makeup or her hair done? She was their kid for god's sake. It just didn't make sense to him how people could tell their own child that.

"You look fine either way," he said trying to reassure her.

"You're too sweet sometimes," she replied to which he shook his head.

He didn't think he was sweet. He was only speaking the truth to her. It shouldn't be such a surprise everytime he complimented her.

They were quiet for a little bit. Finn kept sneaking glances at her when she wasn't looking. He noticed a scar that went along her hip, and he couldn't help but be curious.

Would it be weird to ask?

He sighed and looked at his lap. The night had gone so well and he was terrified that he'd ruin it by asking or saying the wrong thing. On one hand, the curiosity would probably kill him if he didn't ask. On the other, he was hoping that he could keep the night in the happy mood that it was still currently in. He was willing to risk it though. The worst she could do is not answer the question. With a quick intake of a breath he looked over to Millie.