City Song

Let's take the city
And make it our song.

▪▪▪

Finn woke up before Millie did.

He looked down and realized that she was still clinging to his side with her arms wrapped around him. He moved his hand, surprised to find Millie's pinky still loosely linked with his. Her hair was in his face a little and the smell of coconut flowed to his nose. He found comfort in the pleasant smell now.

Her breathing was heavy and her eyelashes fluttered just enough for Finn to notice. He looked over her, taking in her smooth skin and pink lips. She snored lightly, something Finn found amusing.

He hated the fact that she was so upset last night, especially because her family had caused it. Family was supposed to care for you, and how Millie explained it made it seem like they couldn't care less. She deserved a lot, and Finn would be damned if she didn't end up happy.

He shifted a little bit, careful not to wake Millie. He released a breath of air out and rested his chin on her head again, closing his eyes to fall back asleep.

▪▪▪

Millie's eyelids fluttered open. She felt warm and she groaned a little at her aching head. Her head always hurt after crying, even if it was the night before. She looked up, eyes locking on the boy next to her. She wasn't expecting curly hair, and when her eyes landed on Finn, everything from last night came rushing back to her. She closed her eyes tight, hoping that somehow it was all a dream.

She opened her eyes back up and sighed as she saw that Finn was still next to her. She started to move, realizing that their pinkies were together. She tried to remember why but she wasn't able to recollect anything that would tell her why. She removed herself from Finn quickly without waking him up and grabbed her phone off the bedside table. She walked to the bathroom, turning on the shower and her phone.

As soon as it was on the missed calls and messages started to show up. Millie held her head as she started to read through each angry message. She deleted them all, not wanting to leave any evidence behind just in case. She clicked on his contact, nervous for the inevitable yelling that was to come.

"Hello?"

Millie was confused by the calm voice.

"H-hi," she said quietly.

"Now isn't a good time," he said. He sounded distracted, and Millie didn't know if she should feel relieved or annoyed.

"Can we talk about last night?" She asked calmly.

"Last night? It's whatever, I'm over it. I'll talk to you later," he rushed the words out. His breath was short, and Millie's eyebrows furrowed.

"O-okay. I love-" she wasn't able to finish her sentence before the call was ended. With a sigh she ran her hand through her hair and looked in the mirror. Her face was bare and her eyes were still puffy.

She jumped in the shower quickly. She knew her makeup artist would be here soon, so she had to be fast. As soon as she got out with dripping wet hair, she realized she had forgotten to grab clothes on the way in. She wrapped a towel around herself, walking out of the bathroom quietly. She peeked around the corner, seeing Finn now on his stomach, his arms tucked under his head and his curls covering most of his face.

She successfully got clothes and then made her way back out of the room. She pulled her phone out again, reading through the angry messages from last night. It all seemed so easy this morning, and Millie was concerned about it. She picked up the phone by the bed and dialed the lobby.