Lovely

Isn't it lovely, all alone
Heart made of glass, my mind of stone
Tear me to pieces, skin to bone
Hello, welcome home.

▪▪▪

Millie tended to worry a lot.

She worried about every little thing a person could imagine. She worried about what she would wear the next day, she worried about where she would be going, and she worried about who she would see. Now put all of that in the spotlight like she was and it caused for an entire hurricane of a mess in Millie's head.

She had hardly talked to him since their last phone call and that was surprising to her. She thought it was weird. He was usually so needy, texting her whenever he could. He's probably just busy, she thought to herself over and over. She was desperately trying to convince herself of that, it was something she could hang onto.

"Earth to Millie!" Finn's voice rang out.

Millie's head turned to him and he raised his eyebrows, "Yes?"

"What's your deal? You've been spacing out all day," Finn said with concern. He wasn't oblivious to her glancing at her phone every two seconds. He had noticed while they were at lunch and while they were in the car. She was constantly stealing small glances towards it, seemingly hopeful for a message or a call or something.

"None of your business," Millie said defensively.

Finn raised his eyebrows, "Okay...I was just worried, sorry."

"Stop worrying about me, I can handle myself," Millie snapped back.

Finn sighed and Millie immediately felt bad at the sight of his sad face. She put her hand on his arm and flinched when he retracted it back quickly.

"Finn..."

"It's so hard being your friend when you snap like this Millie. Have you never had a friend like this who cared? I just want to help you. I genuinely worry about you but you get angry with me every time," Finn ranted.

Millie opened her mouth to speak but Finn shook his head and kept talking.

"It's so frustrating...you're so frustrating Millie."

Millie looked down. She could feel her eyes getting wet and she bit her lip, begging herself not to cry. She hated how sensitive she could be. Her mind flashed back to when she was only fourteen, and the same thing was told to her.

"You're so fucking frustrating Millie!"

I winced as Jacob raised his voice.

"I-I'm sorry," I stuttered out.

"That's all you ever say," he replied back with a glare.

"Because I am," I said back as a tear rolled down my cheek.

He stepped forward and looked me in the eyes harshly, "You're not."

"I am, you just have to let me explain. I-"

He wouldn't even let me speak a sentence before he was yelling again.

"Do you really ever expect anyone to want you when you're such a problem? All you are is a nuisance and nobody wants one of those around! You're lucky I don't end that damn contract now, I'm the only one who's ever going to put up with you."

Every word hit me like a bag full of bricks. They hurt and it was hard not to believe them when he was constantly drilling them into my head. Before I could say anything to defend myself he turned and walked out of the room, slamming the door behind him.