Chapter 1: The Orphanage

A barrage of children stood at the entry way as a couple stood at the front door of the orphanage. The couple looked over the kids with pondering gazes whilst the children made desperate attempts to appeal to their eyes with their cuteness. Luckily for them, it was working.

The lady of the pair inwardly gushed as the children crowded around her, making it increasingly difficult for her to choose. The head mistress, Kate, did her best to hide her naturally intense features behind a patient smile.

"Have you chosen, Mr and Mrs Drake?" The Drake couple shared a quick glance. The children stared in anticipation. The couple then pointed to a child with bright orange hair.

"We would like to welcome Mathew into our family." Mr Drake happily stated. Mathew's eyes widened while the other kids around threw off their cheerful facades, moaning and groaning.

"YES!" Everyone watched with pouty faces as the young lad threw a fist into the air and let out a hearty cheer. Hiding the smirk on his face, Mathew then threw himself at his parents and waved his hand to the other children. "It's a shame that I have to leave you behind, I'll miss everyone!" Yeah, right.

Soon after the Drakes had left with their new kid, everyone was left to their own devices. "At least we don't have to deal with him anymore." One child did mutter.

Behind the staircase, your tiny self remained hidden, watching quietly as everyone dispersed. Then, a quick hand grabbed you by the shoulder, causing you to shriek and flail about as you were carried into the air.

"It seems I've found a little mouse. Now, where did I put those mouse traps..."

"AH! STOP- IT'S ME!" You wailed. A woman's laugh tickled your neck, before you were promptly set down. You turned around and gave the woman standing before you a mean eye. "That was mean, Rosy. And you know it."

Rosy, Kate's assistant, simply smiled at you.

"Y/n, why didn't you introduce yourself? You might have been picked."

"But I wanna stay here with you..." You lowered your gaze and bit your bottom lip. "And besides, nobody would want me anyway."

"You know that's not true." Kneeling down to your level, Rosy's orange locks framed her face perfectly as she stared into your eyes with her deep emerald ones. "You are a very special girl. If I could, I'd adopt you in a heartbeat."

"But you can't," you gave her a soft smile, "I know." Hearing you say that disheartened Rosy. Pulling away from her, you flashed her a wide grin and puffed your chest out with pride. "Don't worry. Someday, I'm going to become a guard for the capital and earn heaps of money! That way, you and I can be together forever!"

With a warmth in her chest, Rosy reached forwards and hugged you tightly. You weren't quite expecting it, but you returned the affection nonetheless. After all, you loved Rosy — she was like the mother you never had.

'Unlike that old lady.' As if reading your thoughts, Kate snapped towards you with a raised brow, making you shutter. You gave her a nervous wave before reluctantly letting go of Rosy. Looking towards her, you cocked your arms. "I'll work super hard!" Rosy gently began to pet your head and she hummed in agreement.

"Yes, I know that you will. Someday, you will become an excellent guard." You grinned to yourself and nodded.

~~~

{8 Years Later}

As the sun rose high above the horizon, a young girl hurled herself through the open window of the Bellwood orphanage, followed shortly by the mother of all that is holy. Red faced, Kate stopped at the window and began throwing cursed words your way.