Chapter 2: Happy Birthday

Birds continued to sing behind closed windows, rudely awakening you from your slumber. You felt so comfortable, moving was the last thing you wanted to do right now. Rolling over, you felt sleep enveloping you once again as you laid in the comfort of your mattress.

You completely missed the pitter patter of small feet speedily making its way towards you, before an attack from above connected with your side.

"WAKEY WAKEY! IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!" A child's voice screamed at the top of her lungs, her vocal chords tearing your ears a new one. You sat up sharply, throwing off your tiny 'attacker'. You stared ahead of you, wide eyed and in a daze, before looking down. With half of her body still on the bed, a little girl flashed you with a toothy grin ...mostly, as one of her front teeth was missing.

"Anais! What do you think you're doing?" You shot out, somewhat half asleep still. Anais quickly righted herself and used all of her might to climb back into your bed. Once comfortably situated under your arms, she spoke in an excited manner;

"It's your birthday! Or did you forget?" It was...your birthday? Eyes widened, you gasped in realisation and almost threw her off you yet again.

"It IS my birthday! Crud, how'd I almost forget?"

The door to your bedroom slammed open and in came Kate, wearing her night gown and her sleeping cap. She adjusted her glasses with her nose and squinted at you.

"Do you girls have any idea what time it is?" Kate spat out. With Anais in your arms, you turned excitedly towards her.

"It's my birthday today!" Kate fell into a stunned silence. By the look on her face, you could tell that she had completely forgotten. She then left the room in a fluster, leaving you confused. "Well, that was strange." You mumbled, looking down at Anais for agreement. She wholeheartedly nodded.

Twisting her body, Anais barrel-rolled off the bed, landing rather awkwardly on her feet. She then raced out of the room where you could hear the rest of the children moving about.

After fully dressing yourself, you exited your room and made your way towards the kitchen where you were hit with a delightful smell. It smelled like bacon as well as a couple of other breakfast foods — Rosy must be at it again!

"Morning, Rosy! What's for breakfast?" You asked, and placed yourself at the dining table.

"On today's menu, we have sizzling hot bacon, pasture raised scrambled eggs, and a special treat for the birthday girl — fluffy white pancakes drizzled in hot maple syrup." Your stomach growled and your eyes followed her hands hungrily as she laid the plate of food in front of you. What a sight to behold, it wasn't just fluffy pancakes; there was bacon as well as a side of eggs and fresh fruit to boot.

"Wow, this looks amazing!" You squealed. Just as you took up your fork, the other children had began to pile into the room, letting out cute yawns whilst they gathered around the dining room table.

"Good morning Rosy." They chorused, prompting her to smile at them in return.

"Good morning, children." As you were taking your first bite of the day, the kid next to you eyed you with envy.

"Aw, what? How come SHE gets whipped cream and syrup?" He whined. You stopped mid chew, slowly turning your head towards him. His name was Dylan, and he was only a year younger than you.

"Maybe when it's YOUR birthday, YOU'LL get whipped cream and syrup on your pancakes. But for now, enjoy the jam and butter." You mocked, aiming your fork at his plate tauntingly. Almost apologetically, Rosy placed a plate of pancakes with only butter and jam in front of him. Mind you, there were a few bits of bacon on his plate. Dylan frowned at his plate of food, clenching his utensils tightly.