New friends

The car throttled sharply as it hit a pothole, jolting you awake. The taxi driver cussed and began muttering incoherent things about 'potholes' and 'sh*tty economies'. You detested his foul language. You then focused on the area around you. It was barely passed the morning hour and specks of sunlight seeped through the clouds, illuminating the houses lined along the street. You pressed your face against the glass panel and admired the rustic scenery with wide eyes.

Many tents lined the unkept streets and you could see people sleeping inside through the loose doorways. Tattered clothing hung overhead, rows upon rows, blocking out the sun. And there was this stench. Even behind the glass panel, a harrowing stench filled the streets. This was like nothing you had seen before.

'Eugh, this place is dreadful!' The car drove along the dirt road, causing dirt clouds to cluster together behind it. You had always thought Metro was a eutopia for the people with nowhere to go. Not... this.

You drove by a pair of children playing with a ball made of old cloth. As your eyes connected with their fragile gazes, you were reminded of the children back at the orphanage. A longing appeared in your heart, causing you to reach out to them. You watched them disappear beyond the horizon, before letting out a sigh. Tearing your gaze from the window, you sunk into the leather seating and hugged yourself tightly. Those children... they didn't look beyond ten years old.

The car throttled again and continued passed the shopping district. Houses were crowded with people and tents lined the streets, housing vendors and all of their wares. Although you couldn't see much, some items certainly looked promising. Who knows, perhaps the taxi man was willing to-

Suddenly, the car came to a screeching halt, throwing you forwards. You crashed into the back of the driver's seat and moaned in pain. 'What the hell?' Looking at the man in confusion, he parked the car in the middle of the empty road.

"I owed Kate a favor, and she told me to take you here. The rest you'll have to walk on your own." You were quiet for a moment. You then wordlessly gathered your things and stepped out of the car. Before you could even say goodbye to the man, the car roared to life and powered down the street. You hacked dust from your throat, before slowly lowering your hand.

"Okay then..." Now that you were out in the open, you had a much better view of the city around you. A number of people fixated their gazes on you as you walked by them, causing you a great discomfort. Hugging your bag tightly to your chest, you continued on a straight line. It was best not to dwindle here any further.

At the end of the road, you could see a giant wall housing the first gate. Stationed in front of it were two guardsmen. No doubt they were your ticket out of here. You steadily increased your walking speed, ignoring the discombobulating eyes directed at you. Surely nobody was that daring to openly mug you in broad daylight.

It felt as if this road went on forever. As time passed, you were silently cursing the taxi driver from dropping you so far from the gate. After what felt like an exceedingly long time, you arrived at the wall's towering stature. Your eyes followed it all the way to the top and you swallowed. The man made infrastructure had greatly exceeded your expectations. It was breath taking.

'Wow... Can I just go through?' You waved for the guard's attention, but he ignored you. You tried again with the his buddy, no dice. "Um, excuse me? Hello?" It didn't seem like they were interested in you. Shrugging your shoulders, you continued passed them.

'Well, that was easy.' Upon exiting the wall's tunnel, you felt all of your energy leave you as you laid eyes on a massive field. The next layer was at least a good few miles away, making it a challenge to walk.