30

The walk back to the house was silent and tense. Zeke and Peyton's usual playful, happy go lucky demeanour was nowhere to be found. My stomach was doing more flips than an acrobat.

The two unknown pack warriors positioned themselves outside the door, while the other 3 followed us inside.

"Now will you tell us what's going on?"

Again, the guys shared a look before sighing.

"Well you remember that box you received? The one Alpha gave to a pack tracker?"

The frown on Penny's face deepened. I quickly filled her in on the situation with the notes and the box before asking Peyton to continue.

"Well the tracker checked the while box for hours until he picked up a faint scent on the little toy dove. That same scent was picked up by one of the warriors. They are chasing the rogue wolf as we speak. That's why we had to bring you back here."

A turbulence settled in the pit of my stomach making me feel almost lightheaded. Rogues were ruthless and never played fair. And my mate was out there trying to catch one.

All because of me.

"But hey don't worry. The Alpha is a pro when it comes to this. He will be just fine."

I smiled a little at Zeke's attempt to cheer me up.

"Hey cmon I don't want to see the Luna sad. Let's do something else. Anything as long as it's within this house."

That's when I remembered. "I know what we should do. We should discuss the secret Daniel had been hiding."

Daniel looked up at me baffled. He then thought for a second before scratching the back of his head. I was pretty sure he knew what I was taking about.

"How did you even pick that up?" He sighed.

"Daniel it was so obvious. Just from the way you looked at her."

"Woah. Her? Daniel man what's going on?"

"I found my mate."

"What? when?" Zeke and Peyton said in unison.

"A couple of months ago."

"So why haven't we met her? "

Daniel blinked and looked down sheepishly.

"Because she's human." I piped up.

"Woah. I did not expect that! Congrats man. So  when are you going to tell her about that whole fur, canines and glowing black eyes thing?"

"Probably never. We are just good friends right now and I don't know how to take it to the next level without messing things up."

"Now that is something I can help you with. Trust me. " I reassured him. Although the way I found out Julius' secret wasn't ideal, he had been a complete gentleman and taken things at a pace suitable for me in the very beginning.

The front door opened and to my relief, in came Julius, Xavier and Tony , looking more or less unscathed. Julius immediately found his way to me, as he usually did, and held me like I was going to disappear. The frown lines on his forehead displayed his frustration.

"We didn't catch it. One minute we could smell him, the next, the trail completely disappeared." He sighed irritably.

"It's so confusing. I mean how didn't anyone pick up the scent initially?" Xavier piped up .

Nobody had an actual answer to the question.

Just a plethora of unrealistic theories. Even rogues have strong, particular scents, just like regular pack wolves.