43

I joined Julius on the stage to address the pack.
"Good evening everyone."

"Good evening Alpha. Good evening Luna."

"As you all know, we have gathered here today to witness the initiation of 9 new members into the Silver blood pack."

It was like Deja Vu, hearing Julius talk about the importance of unity and communication in the pack.  It felt like just yesterday, I was the one being welcomed.

"Now you will hear a few words from your Luna."

The crowd clapped as I stepped forward a little to give my mini speech.

"Good evening Everyone. Tonight we will witness something truly beautiful. The integration of new people into our family.
It is important that you treat them as you treat one another ; with respect and compassion. Adjusting to something new is easier said than done. We may incur problems and we may not see eye to eye but with time, we will become so integrated, the past won't even matter . All I ask of you all is that you are patient and understanding."

I sighed in relief as the crowd clapped once I had finished talking. Public speaking had never been my forte and I was still getting used to addressing such a big crowd.

The individual initiations began shortly after. One by one, each of the new members were called forward. They would place their hand on the pack stone and make their vows to the pack, its people and its leaders. There weren't any objections - unless you counted Zeke and Peyton's fan clubs sniffling when their mates walked on stage.
Last but not least was Ada. I looked at her sympathetically before Julius asked the question  she had obviously been dreading.
"Are there any objections to this initiation?"

"She's a traitor!"

"She tried to destroy this pack!"

"She doesn't belong here!"

I could see the tears welling up in Ada's eyes. Xavier immediately stood up to comfort her.

"Enough!" I shouted, causing the whole room to immediately go silent.

"If you all truly respect me, you will listen to what Ada has to say. Yes what she did in the past is almost unforgivable, but there are two sides to every story. If I am willing to give her a chance, then you should be too."

I beckoned Ada to step forward onto the podium and then I took a step back.

"Good evening everyone. I would first like to thank the Luna for giving me this opportunity."
Ada began. She explained her story to the pack, from the death of her mother, to the downward spiral that was her dad's life.

"I know that this does not justify my actions. And, I do not want your pity. But now that I am free to live my life the way I chose, I would like a fresh start. I want to experience the wonderful things that come with being part of your amazing community. I want to feel apart of something special and mostly I want to be with my mate. All I ask is that you give me time, to mend relations and earn your trust."

Silence followed for a few moments before choruses of applause echoed throughout the room.

"So we begin. Does anybody object?" Julius asked. Nobody made a sound, much to Ada's relief.

"Do you Ada Emerald Kane you swear your loyalty to this pack?"

My heart warmed. She had been desperate so abandon her father's surname. She had opted for her mother's maiden name instead, as a way to feel somewhat closer to her.