Chapter30: Speak

Water dropped from my shoulders, down my bronze skin as I emerged from the cool sea

Water dropped from my shoulders, down my bronze skin as I emerged from the cool sea. I felt lingering stares but brushed them aside. The hot sand almost sizzled against my cool feet as I slowly approached our blanket.

The grains drew up between my toes causing me to let giggles escape at the foreign feeling. I always loved going to the beach as a child. But as I grew up my parents busied themselves and everyone living in our estate either had their private beach or private island.

Considering we had neither the shame of going to a public beach would ridicule my parents. Rolling my eyes at the thought of how they completely changed without me even noticing annoyed me.

I picked up the hot dry towel and patted my skin down, the eery feeling of someone staring continued to penetrate my mind.

Taking a quick glance around the whole beach, I encountered the boys playing a game of soccer. David bounced the ball on his feet and his chest as I bit my lip. He made everything look so appealing.

The checkered object bounced against his tan smooth skin leaving bits of sand in the almost unnoticeable hairs on his defined pecs. My troubled mind didn't ease so I observed other areas of the beach.

The white sand made the edges of my mouth upturn as I looked around. In my neighbourhood there were two options; it was either you hand your own private beach or and island. Considering my family had neither, too keep up appearances they said we would not go to the public beaches.

I rolled my eyes at the memories I used to smile at blindly. The area seemed clear but my intuition never died down. An almost unrecognisable cavern was able to be seen near the surface of the hill. 
Two darkness could be seen side by side if you tilted your head to the side. The blackened figure lowered the lenses picking up a long black object. He positioned it slowly and stared our way. Stepping backwards I signalled my hand towards David. "David! Guys get into the car!"

The stared at me with puzzled faces before locking eyes in the direction I was looking. I dropped everything and picked my legs running straight towards the car.
Adrenaline poured through my veins as I moved my feet one at a time almost stumbling to the ground. Little holes pierced silently into the beach surface dodging my feet. I pulled open the car door and the boys caught up quickly.

Little bullets stages against the dark windows before the shooter gave up, and realised the car was bullet proof. Our erratic breathing died down slowly and the silence in the air remained unbroken. I stared at the steering wheel without speech.

Simultaneously, all of them grabbed weapons from hidden parts of the cars, David and Dominic eyed each other planing a silent attack, Ivan held the gun but I knew he wasn't going anywhere. Dom and David hastily opened their doors, shivers ran through my spine and hand as I latched onto my husband's shoulder.

The look in my eyes was enough for everyone in the car to understand what I silently told him. He slowly came forward placing a soft kiss ok my lips. A tear drop dare to fall from my eyes as I held in steady breaths, he brought his large hand high and smoothed my hair down.

He nodded my way before continuing on with his mission. They both slammed the car doors behind them getting the shooters attention. Back to back the dark haired giants cleared the area. Approaching the cavern the bullets were coming from my nerves built up. Sweat layered on my forehead and I took a giant gulp.

As they disappeared it took everything in my being not to follow them. The heat in the car rose achingly and the tension was thick. I rolled the window down slowly before Ivan reached forwards and rolled the window back to its original placing. I huffed quietly and crossed my arms. Taking my bottom lip in between my teeth I stared at the dark cavern.

Nothing could measure the nerves I felt for him right now. "Ten minutes, when we have back up I'll go in".  I took in another harsh breath, my breathing shallowed but quickened it's pace.

A tan foot was my first sighting, when I saw his whole body I went sprinting towards him. Dom was beside him as they dropped a beaten man to the ground. The sand followed me in the air as I leaped into David's arms.

"Never do that to me again".

The daring tear poured down my cheek but with a different emotion. David dropped me slowly and turned to our attacker. The man was clad in black and his busted lip gave contrast to his pale face.

"Speak". Dom kicked the man lazily in the ribs. I glared at him before tutning back to the scene. He looked at each of us before his eyes landed on me, he smirked and turned his head to the side. "I see why he wants you".

My heart dropped as my brain clouded in disbelief. Another attack, for me. Opening my mouth to get more out of him, he speedily brought out a dagger around the size of my wrist to my middle finger.

Slicing his throat, the skin ripped behind the blade of the knife, yet, he had a wide smile on his face. I turned away, I couldn't look at this. A few stray tears dropped out of sync. "I'll get the blanket". Dominic seemed unfazed by this as he retrieved the blanket.

David turned to me and held my forearms, he acted calm not to scare me but I could see the rage in his eyes. The blue turned royal mixing with coral signalling he was troubled, angry or he lusted after something. David pulled me into his embrace stroking my hair.

After the man was covered I held my mouth in my hands and watched the bright red liquid slither it's way out of the picnic blanket, it seemed like a dyed rain. It traveled like rain on a car window. It stained the brightly coloured sand.

It wasn't until then that I had realised how dangerous David's life was. I never asked for this, but clearly it was too late to turn back now. I was in and there was no escaping now that they have found out who I was. This was not a game. It was darker.

Much darker.