Chapter21: Starting Over

I rolled to the side and immediately came in contact with my warm pillow

I rolled to the side and immediately came in contact with my warm pillow. I rubbed the smooth surface and leaned my head on it. Suddenly the pillow started to vibrate with a deep groaning sound. I didn't know the hotel had vibrating pillows, puzzled, I lifted my hand off smoothing out my pillow.

"Why did you stop? I like when you caress me" I heard David's deep raspy morning voice ring in my ears sending shivers down my spine. I sat up abruptly rubbing my head at the sudden movement.

Why was I in his bed?

It all came flooding back much too quickly for me to process. Breakfast. The fire. The woman's. The firefighter. The... Oh no. I blushed remembering what David had told me. I would love to believe his whole fiasco but, I wasn't planning on falling for it again.

I needed to keep this barrier up as long as I possibly could. "Why did you stop rubbing?" David's morning raspy voice surprised me causing me to jump and hit my bandaged hand off his nose.

I held my covered wrist in my hands and he stretched his nose up and down. I checked his nose analysing his face from side to side. I stopped quickly shoving his face out of my hands as if it was diseased.

His hand fell back and his hair brushed over the front of his face. His ocean eyes stared at me in utter wonder. I fell into a trance totally encapsulated By his lingering stare.

Awkwardly coughing I broke the staring contest and looked everywhere else but him. "Why am I here?" I stared around the manly decorated room instantly recognising why David chose this suite. The greys and blacks suited his perfectly.

"Do you remember what I told you earlier today?" A red heat rushed up to my cheeks as I looked down at his chin. I nodded silently as the blush deepened. "I mean it Saryah. I want to give you everything.... Let's start over. In fact, I'm taking you out tonight, be ready". He hopped out of the bed, "I'll get Helga to buy you a dress. We can go shopping for new clothes tomorrow". I stared at him in complete awe. Maybe he was for real this time. But I wasn't going to take my chances.

********

"You should have heard him that night Saryah. He has never ever been so open with me. He's in love with you and it's so sincere and true. It's like he's a boy all over again. He never got to enjoy those years".

Behind the bathroom door I knitted my eyebrows together, why didn't he enjoying his teenage years other than the fact that the mafia was his whole life?

"Why didn't he have a normal childhood?" I called through the door pulling up the zipper for my dress. I was greeted by an awkward silence so I decided to ditch the conversation. The black lace complemented my tan skin making me smile into he mirror. I applied another layer of lipstick and smacked me lips together. Feeling insecure I turned away from the mirror and opened the door.

Helga faced my way and stared me up and down. "He's gonna faint when he sees you". The words fell out her mouth in pauses as she stared at me in interest. I twirled around feeling the base of the dark coloured dress lift off the ground.